question for malcolm??

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

rock4dranger
SM: No

question for malcolm??

Post by rock4dranger »

i did some reading on the hydraulic conversion you did on the t5 tranny.. it said you used a 93 bell housing and input shaft. would any tranny from 86-93 work??? and also where did you get the conversion kit?? Steve(florida)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Steve,

I got the hydraulic slave, mounting bracket, hose, and fitting from a company called Total Performance. I will warn you they are very hard to get a hold of and to make things worse they only answer their phones on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I used to just fax them and they'd call back. They kit cost $170 ish. Quite a lot but it was complete and good quality.

Others have used generic auto parts store hydraulic slaves but I don't have any specifics or part #s. Chris (goes by cgrey8 on this board) is going down this path right now. Hopefully he'll jump in here and tell you were he's at so far.

Yes any 86-93 tranny should work. As you probably know from the T5 page you referenced a 94-95 tranny would require you change the input shaft and retainer to work with the 93 style bell housing. You'd also have to change the top cover with the shift forks to get the neutral switch if you wanted it. You could just have your 89-93 ECC have an error code on it. The 94-95 ECC no longer needed the tranny neutral switch.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
rock4dranger

Post by rock4dranger »

thats great.. thanks.. i also have a mechanic friend that just told me you rebuild a t5 with tremec internals... i was lovin that..ive priced both and i think doin the t5/tremec conversion is the way to go and for alot less money too... and we all know the t5 leaves much to be desired.. i used to own a 88 mustang gt and had nothing but problems with the t5 and i had a stock engine.... but i im havin trouble locating a t5 tranny.. all the bone yards in my area dont have any and i found a couple on ebay but they were a lil to pricy.. but i gotta find one... just a lil hard to put the engine in with out it..
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I haven't gotten near ready for implementation, however here are some pics you can view to get an idea of aftermarket solutions available. You may decide that the difference in price is worth getting the Total Performance solution. My only gripe with TP is that you can't access them but on 2 days and then only between 1-6PM (PST I think) and that doesn't seem to matter since they never answer the phone anyway. My concern with a company like this is that WHEN (not if) the slave goes bad, I'd have to pay another $170 to get a replacement.

Using aftermarket parts to fab together your own concoction can be almost as easy, cheaper, as well as servicable in the future.

Read this link for more details:

viewtopic.php?t=64&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here's more information from TRS where I posted pics of the basic setup, but there's more info peripheral to which slave cylinder to use. Some guy wanted an explaination of what bore size had to do with anything so I detailed out a physics 101 lesson on Master/Slave bore diameter effects andy why bore sizes are important to consider:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/ ... 18354&st=0

Enjoy...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Steve,
I got my T-5 new from Summit for $1199. Used but rebuilt cost about $900 up here and it wasn't the world class as is the one from Summit. You are going to have to get the transfer case adapter from Advance Adapter that runs about $700 and takes sometimes a couple of months to get. Problem is that the adapter kit will not work with the input shaft on the World Class T-5, you have to convert back to the standard roller bearing input shaft. I got all kinds of help in solving this problem by someone down you way. Tony at AstroPerformance does 95% of his work on T-5 transmissions. www.astroperformance.com
Phone is 866-253-0019. Should be close.
Dave (in Wisconsin)
rock4dranger

Post by rock4dranger »

dave and cgrey8, thank you for your replies... dave, i am mostly using the T5 for mock up and mybe to tool around with when i get everything done... i remember the days when i had my mustang and everyone i talked to didnt have much nice to say about the T5 tranny.. when i am done i plan on having around 600 horses or so ( depending on which power adder i go with because of the bigger axles and tires) i do plan on getting a tremec or mybe have the T5 rebuild with tremec internals depending on the money situation at the time..
rock4dranger

Post by rock4dranger »

one more thing dave.. i am using a divorced transfer case so i wont have to use an adapter.. just a short lil drive shaft from the tranny to the transfer case.. Steve(florida)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If you are looking for a built T5 like the one that Summit and Jegs offer, you can get the same FR Super Duty T5 with the 2.95-1st and .63-5th from D&D Transmission for $1150 inc shipping.

However this tranny is only rated up to 330ft/lbs. If you are looking at high torque, the only thing close you can hope for is the Cobra R version of the T5 that holds up to 500ft/lbs I think...I don't know what all is different between it and the regular T5, but I do know they have different bolt patterns and a different bell.

For that kinda torque, you are looking at a Tremec 3550/3650/TKO. Or just splurge and get the narrow ratio T56 that supports 650ft/lbs.

D&D Links:
http://ddperformance.com/3550tko5spd.htm

http://ddperformance.com/t56__6_speed%2 ... ssions.htm

http://ddperformance.com/t5_5_speed_transmissions.htm

I have no clue how these options will work with the transfer case, however if you are running a driveshaft between the case and tranny, I don't guess it really matters what tranny is between the case and engine.

Hope this helps...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MercuRanger

Post by MercuRanger »

If you are looking at high torque, the only thing close you can hope for is the Cobra R version of the T5 that holds up to 500ft/lbs I think...I don't know what all is different between it and the regular T5, but I do know they have different bolt patterns and a different bell.
The Cobra R used a Tremec, I believe, hence the different bolt patterns, etc. and higher torque rating.

Mike
'83 Ranger Reg Cab 5.0 4x4 (Neverending project)
'99 Grand Am (Daily transportation)
'95 Lumina Van (Wife's car)
'51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe (future project)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

You are right...

I looked in the Jegs where I remembered seeing them sold. It says right in the title "Tremec 5speed..."

It also appears to have the longer input shaft which would locate it further back.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Steve,
With the HP levels you are looking at, I'd forget about the T-5 and go straight to either the Tremec TKO 500 or 600 version. Number indicates the torque rating. Both available with eight different shifter locations to suit your needs. Both are 5 speeds. The 600 comes with either a .64 or a .82 fifth gear. Runs about $1590/1620 depending.

www.ttcautomotive.com/English/news/20news.asp

Mustangs Unlimited down in Georgia carries them.
www.mustangsunlimited.com
Dave
rock4dranger

Post by rock4dranger »

thank you all for your input.. i had kinda figured i would have to get a tremec.. but damn thats gonna put a big dent in the wallet.. lol but i guess anytime you try to improve on something its gonna hit you right in the seat of your pants.. i just cant wait to get started on my lil (said sarcasticly) project... Steve (florida)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Well, if you do what I did when I 1st started this project, I was thinking of only upgrading to get a modest 300+ horses by replacing heads, intake, cam. After I got to researching and asking questions, I realized I'd need a new injectors, which requires new MAF sensor calibrated for those injectors. Then a high flow fuel pump to maintain the demand. Then I'd have to think if my radiator would be bing enough...you can continue this thinking on-and-on.

Increasing the hp of the engine is actually the easy part because everybody makes bolt-on horsepower for the motor. The hard parts are outfitting the truck with all the peripheral components to match. With 400+ horses, you'll also want to think about frame twist. As you torque up that motor, your front tire is going to want to lift right off the ground (assuming you can plant the power). You'll need some bracing done to the frame to stiffen it so it doesn't want to flex so easily. If you've never seen how easily the Ranger frames twist, park your truck so that one wheel is on a speedbump or curb. Then look at how twisted the bed is to the cab. It's not excessive, but it does prove a point. Supplying and handling the horses is often more of a challenge than building an engine to make them.

Point being, if you are concerned about another $600-800 horses in the tranny, have you thought about all the peripheral power handling you'll need to handle an engine that mighty? Maybe you have...I'm just throwing that out there.

Like I said, my eyes got big too in the beginning, and I thought I had the dollars for the swap all figured out and nailed down. Since then, I've decided to stick with all-stock engine from an Explorer. Thus, I haven't come close to taking my original route, and I'm figuring this swap is going to cost about what I expected it would WITH the engine mods I'd planned on way back when. There's just a number of costs you won't and can't plan on until you get into it...and I am still yet to crack the 1st bolt on this project. I'm still in parts collection mode.

I won't be doing anything with it tonight either...I gotta walk around with a black robe and a goofy square hat with a dangly thing tonight. Joy...
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
rock4dranger

Post by rock4dranger »

thank you thank you... i guess im goin the tremec route... i am possibly lookin at around 500-600 horses when im done.. and even if i dont reach that mark, better to be safe than sorry.. especially sense im going to have bigger axles and bigger tires. Steve(florida)