SM: No

remote oil filter

Post by gorgo »

any good ones out there?
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

L&L is the best I've ever seen if you got the cash.

http://www.v8-ranger.com/red/oil/oil.php
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Canton also makes an adapter that is almost as good as L&L, but is a little thicker. So if you got the motor mounted in really close to the steering box, you may have clearance problems even with it. I thought I was going to have problems with mine because it kept scrubbing until I got the motor mounted down. With the motor mounted, it appears the Canton would've worked without a problem.

There's also the super-cheap filter relocators made by TransDapt.

L&L I think is around $90
Cantons are around $50ish?
And the TransDapt spin-on type are in the $20s.

The disadvantage to the TransDapt is it just spins on like an oil filter would. There are two taps for in and out hoses. So when you thread the hoses into it, you are at the mercy of where it tightens down to as to what angle those hoses will point.

With the Canton and L&L, a center-nut tightens the adapter down so the frame that is the adapter can swivel at whatever angle you want the hoses to point.

Check out these links for more details:
L&L Vs Canton remote oil adapters
New guy with an oil filter adapter question
TransDapt.com Oil Filtration PDF

Of course, you still need the hoses and the adapter that holds the filter. The TransDapt adapter for the filter (listed in the PDF linked to above) should work just fine. TransDapt stuff is available for order at O'Reillys Auto Parts Stores. But you'll have to take the PN you want to them. Don't expect the counter-jockeys to know how to look anything up.

A local hydraulics shop can hook you up with the hoses. TransDapt makes barbed fittings so you can use hose-clamps & std oil-resistant rubber hose to interconnect the filter and the adapter. Based on experience, don't go that route. The hose-clamp hoses will leak after about a year or so. Even retightening the hose clamps doesn't help. Get custom-made hoses with crimped ends. However even with my crimped-lines, I had a leak right at the filter from day 1. The TransDapt filter flange uses a thread pitch that requires an O-ring to seal instead of threads that increase in diameter and seal themselves with Teflon tape. That O-ring never wanted to seal really well for me so I had to put LOTS of silicone gasket on the threads and on that O-ring, thread the hose into the adapter, let it sit while the silicone hardened, then crank the engine. After doing that, I haven't had any more trouble from my setup.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

permacool "el cheap o's" in jegs work just fine for me
twin turbo v8 menace
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

Ford Racing catalog has a nice looking adapter Part no. M6880-C50 for $59.95.
Has anyone tried this?
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Those 90* type adapters are very nice because you wouldn't have any hoses to deal with but they are way to big to fit in the Ranger. If you did have that much clearance you could just use a stock v8 explorer adapter (looks pretty much the same) from a junk yard.

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

Malcolm
The adapter I am talking about uses hoses look at page 102 in ford racing catalog.
Part no.M6880-C50
The adapter looks very much like the Canton and L&L adapter.

Part no. M6880-A50 is the one I think you are thinking about.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

This is what Summit Racing is calling M6880-A50:
Summit Racing FMS-M6880A50

That is almost identical to what comes on the Explorer motors. The only difference is the Explorer adapter is setup to run radiator water through it to cool the oil (presumably since the Explorer could be used to tow). But as Malcolm said, there's just not enough room unless you relocate the steering box.

But what you are describing is a 90deg device that looks like the L&L or Canton (M6880-C50). I couldn't find that on Summit or in the 2007 Ford Racing Parts catalog. If you can find a picture of it on the Internet, post it using the IMG tags.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

Having trouble with picture see below:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download ... 007-pp.pdf

Look at page 102.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Ahhh, I see now why searching in the Parts catalog didn't work. There's a dash in between the M and the 6880. Leaving that dash out pooched my PDF search.

But to answer your question, there's no doubt about it. That is the Canton Adapter. Canton evidently OEMed it to Ford Racing to sell as their own product...knowing Ford, they are selling it for more than Canton does.
Canton adapter is the black one on the left if the L&L Logo wasn't obvious enough. :oops:

I've still got the Canton adapter I bought before I got the L&L. It's got some cratchs/scuffs on it from where it was on the motor during the original placement. It was scuffing against the steering box which is why I thought it wouldn't work. All the scuffs are cosmetic and only on the bottom (just like Malcolm's adapter pictured above). When I was at that point, I was in a time crunch to get the truck done and just wanted to be assured everything would go smoothly, so I bought the L&L adapter as insurance. But after seeing the engine mounted down tight using my L&L motor mounts, I think the Canton would've after all.

I originally bought it for ~$55 along with extra seals (another $10-15). It's currently not being used, so if you wanna make me an offer for it, I'd like to see it go to use on someone's swap.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

We have used cheapo's and the boy bought a L&L and that was some of the best money he ever spent. If I ever need another relocator I will not hesitate to get the L&L one. Just my .02 worth.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)