Will 2000 Ranger 4wd 8.8 RE fit under an 89 Ranger 2wd?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Will 2000 Ranger 4wd 8.8 RE fit under an 89 Ranger 2wd?

Post by cgrey8 »

After heating up the phones trying to find a rearend for this conversion, I found 1 yard that has an 8.8" RE from a 2000 Ranger 4x4 using 4.10 gears, open diffey, 10" rear brakes, & ABS. The Ranger ran 92kmiles. They are asking $450 + $100 core (which I'll have to pay).

Will a 2000 year 4x4 Ranger rearend fit under an '89 Ranger 2wd with no mods? Technically speaking, I know you can make anything work. But practically, I'm looking for a drop-in replacement for the existing 7.5" RE.

Was there differences in shock mounting locations, widths, brake line runs, or any other detail I should keep in mind before I buy or should I stay on the horn looking for a Ranger closer to my year that's 2wd?

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

should work.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

That you know of, there isn't an issue with the later Rangers being slightly wider or with it being 4x4 or anything like that?

I'm just trying to think of all the potential SNAFUs that could arise if I get an RE that's considerably newer than the truck. If it works, it works...I got no problem with that. Just wanting to make sure.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

As seen in the other thread about Cone vs. Clutch LS-REs, the place that could hook me up with a very affordable rearend couldn't come through with a Ranger 8.8.

cjnomor4, it appears from the RPS website that the 93+ Ranger 8.8s were 1.5" wider than the pre-93 REs.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/tech/d ... swap.shtml

I don't mind if it's wider than the one I have. However my main worry is brake lines reaching. If you say all will work, I'll go in for this RE that appears to be the only one in the North Atlanta Area. I asked one of the yardies why Ranger 8.8 REs are so scarce. He said the 8.8 in the earlier Rangers were simply uncommon to start with. He further commented that the ones that are in yards are picked over by the Mustang guys wanting the axles to convert their 'Stangs to 5-lug. I don't know the truth in that, but that's what he says. I thought 'Stangs had equal length axles and the Rangers had unequal length. Hmmm...

Whatever the reason, finding an RE for this truck very difficult around here. I'm glad I started looking early...

Chris
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

that was good to know. i may get a set of fx4 axles for mine. the brake lines run along the housing and if you find one at a junkyard, it will probably have these lines.