Class 101 on auto transmission and torque converter

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Class 101 on auto transmission and torque converter

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I've never worked on an auto transmission before. In fact I've never even owned one so this is all new to me. Just looking at the setup it would appear the torque converter and tranny are open to each other. Is this right? It looks like fluid can flow between the transmission and converter. If that's true then there's a gap where dirt can get in the tranny while the converter is removed and I should probably not use a garden hose to clean out the inside of the bell housing right?

Also the t-case is not bolted up to it right now and it appears I can see into the tranny like it's exposed. I'm afraid dirt could have gotten in there. What's the best way to flush out the tranny while it's on the stand and be sure I won't fire it up in the vehicle with any dirt inside.

Thanks
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
MercuRanger
SM: No

Post by MercuRanger »

Yeah, garden hose would be bad - it is open when the TC isn't in there. Personally, I like kerosene (diesel, home heating oil) for cleaning those types of things. It's petroleum based (so any leftover just "blends in" with the oil/tranny fluid), not very flammable (like gasoline), and will eventually evaporate. If you look at engine degreaser, it's pretty much just kerosene.

The back of my AOD wasn't open, though it did look like it with the t-case adapter on it. The back of the main case has a seal on it, I believe, and there's just a hollow housing with a shaft running through it for the t-case to bolt to. Not sure about the newer ones, but I'd imagine it's the same.

Regardless, any tranny I get from a junkyard, I put a fresh filter and fluid in it, drive it a hundred miles or so, then change the filter/fluid again.

BTW, my father and I are 100% successful on rebuilding tranny's, and only about 50% successful on buying junkyard trannys, for what that's worth.

Mike
'83 Ranger Reg Cab 5.0 4x4 (Neverending project)
'99 Grand Am (Daily transportation)
'95 Lumina Van (Wife's car)
'51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe (future project)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance yet to start on the tranny. I've been tearing down the motor and making sure everything's OK.

It looks like installing the torque converter is going to be quite a challenge. The flex plate bolts to the motor then the torque converter slides up against it and you have to get your fingers up between the flexplate and the motor to spin on a nut. There's four of them. I can just see how fun that's going to be under the truck trying to install that. After the first nut or two is on I'll have to put a socket on the front pulley and turn the motor over a little to get to the remaining bolts (I think).
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
MercuRanger
SM: No

Post by MercuRanger »

Yup, that's the process. With the access cover removed, it's not that difficult to get the nuts on there. Use Loctite. You may be able to turn the motor over with a screwdriver in the flexplate teeth if you're careful, so you don't have to keep climbing out from under the truck. That's what I usually do.

Also, as an auto tranny newbie, make sure you have the converter fully seated into the tranny. The tranny will fail if the converter's not fully seated. I've had a couple friends kill trannys that way.

Mike
'83 Ranger Reg Cab 5.0 4x4 (Neverending project)
'99 Grand Am (Daily transportation)
'95 Lumina Van (Wife's car)
'51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe (future project)