what headers fit

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cjcnomor4
SM: No

Post by cjcnomor4 »

i emailed that guy at torque monster a few months ago, he just gave me a list of companies that make swap kits (adv adapt., kaufmann, l+l etc.) but didnt say if they would work in a ranger. I really dont want to spend almost $800 on a set of try these and see if they fit. It also looks like they have a fitting for an external egr tube. I dont know if they make a set without the fitting
stranger

Post by stranger »

yes i spoke to him also.driect replacement for explorer header.it can be had with or without egr fitting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 83228&rd=1

pics and better prices on ebay

mercurangers site has a listing of all headers that fit
2000 trailhead,400 hp 5.0.still want more,blown,motor,410 going together now.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Well since I just purchased a 2000 motor with P heads I'd be willing to test those :D MercuRanger if you decide not to take him up on the offer feel free to send him my way :D

As for L&L headers. I called them up during the week. They said they do indeed work with P heads. $325 with no coating, $425 with nickel finish. They also yes to shipping uncoated headers so you can weld in an EGR bung and then ship back for coating.

Ranger Dave, yes the driver's side header goes straight down on the L&L headers (like the passanger's headman header pictured) but it does not hit the frame. You do however have to have a 90* bend under the one crossmember a little further back as mentioned ealier.

So I guess right now for the P head guys L&L uncoated headers are the cheapest with the exception of Explorer factory manifolds which I guess I might end up using unless I find something cheaper.

Thanks
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
plowboy34

headers

Post by plowboy34 »

I don't know about anyone else but I sure didn't like how those plug wires had to be run on the passenger side. Looked a little hairy to me.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Ranger Dave, I think that ebay link you posted is using the wrong pictures for his auctions. Take a look at this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33631

It's the same guy. These are supposed to be sb chevy headers only they're missing a tube.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

looks like they combine the center 2 tubes on both sides. gotta wonder what that does for flow out of those ports. does save space.
stranger

Post by stranger »

if you have a chevy motor in an s-10.
2000 trailhead,400 hp 5.0.still want more,blown,motor,410 going together now.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I was about to make a foolish statement that these were V6 headers just taking a quick glance at them. However as yall've pointed out, they are just using 1 pipe for both ports. Looking closer, it appears that the center pipe is even larger than either of the end pipes which I'm sure has it's effects on flow as well. I haven't gone through the firing order to see if these ports ever fire back-to-back to even need the extra pipe size, but that's a different issue altogether than what I wanted to point out.

My point was more directed at tuning and header scavenging due to the tuning. With tuning, the length and pipe diameter are what's criticial in order to develop the high flow rates that promote good scavenging. Having two exhaust ports dumping into the same pipe, I could imagine would distort/eliminate any "tuning" you could get, however as these are shorty headers, I doubt that makes any difference anyway. It's my understanding that "tuned" scavenging isn't really possible on shorty headers (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, assuming you were a SBC person following that logic, would you care if the siamese ports shared the same pipe? I'd still think there'd be some net effect of having 1 large pipe as opposed to equally sized individual pipes for each exhaust port, but I don't know enough about the dynamics of header design and exhaust flow to say anything for sure. I was just curious what others think/heard/experienced (another one of those academic, no wrong answer kinda discussions).

I guess us SBF guys are lucky in that we don't have to think about this if we don't wanna. :D

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org