Starter run-on after engine is running

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Starter run-on after engine is running

Post by cgrey8 »

The problem is that the starter sounds like it is continuing to run after the engine has cranked, and after the key is no longer turned to the START position.

I first noticed this today when I started up to leave the muffler shop. I don't know whether the problem started at the muffler shop or whether it has been there the whole time, but I never heard it because the exhaust was so loud.

Tonight, I diagnosed to see if the solenoid is continuing to hold in and supply power to the starter causing this. It is not. The power ceases as soon as my finger leaves the key, but the starter continues to spin for about 1 second after. It's as though the starter gear is getting stuck in the flywheel's ring gear and having to work its way loose.

Has anybody ever heard of this?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org