Starter is running on after engine is running

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Starter is running on after engine is running

Post by cgrey8 »

This is the 1st time I've noticed the starter doing this, but today at the exhaust shop, I noticed that the starter is running on for about a second after the engine is started. At first, I thought it was just my ignition switch getting stuck in the start position instead of springing itself back to run, but after I tried manually backing the switch off and it still did it, I don't think the switch is the problem. The 1st time I noticed the starter doing this is when the mufflers were installed. So, I have no clue whether it has been doing this all along and I just couldn't hear it over the raw exhaust noise or if this is, indeed, a new development.

What I have not yet determined is if the starter bendix is getting stuck in the flywheel ring gear causing the starter to spin with the motor until it can work its way back in or if it is continuing to receive juice causing it to do this.

Anybody ever heard of this before?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org