SOHC V6 Conversion Vs EFI 302 Conversion???

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

V8LTD
SM: No

SOHC V6 Conversion Vs EFI 302 Conversion???

Post by V8LTD »

Hi Im a new member of this forum. I have a 92 Ranger STX super cab that has a dieing 4.0. My father and I want to put either a SOHC V6 or a mustang/T-bird EFI 5.0. The truck will be used for truck kind of work around the house, fuel mileage is important. The 4.0 in it now has 145K and has never been the same since the head gasket went. And I never liked the truck on the hight way because it had no power there just noise. Currently it gets about 16mpg. Obviouly the V6 would be better on gas but is it worth the extra money? My questions are:

If I put a EFI 5.0 in it ( 150, 185, or 225 hp ) what kind of gas mileage should i expect?

which ones easier to do put the SOHC V6 in or the EFI 5.0?

Whats the best conversion book to buy?

I wanted to keep it 4x4 and I have a AOD to put in it. Will the book tell me everything i need to know.

finally there are like 3 or 4 different motor mount types i heard, which one is better the one that requires no moding or the one that lowers the engine in the truck?

any other infor that i may need that i didnt ask is welcome too. I want to know what im up againist.

Either way I go V6 or V8 i want fuel injection.
Thanks
1992 Ford Ranger STX
1993 Ford Probe GT
1983 Ford LTD ( Sleeper )
plowboy34

V6 vs 5.0

Post by plowboy34 »

Hey V8ltd, Not sure what it would take to do a SOHC V6 conversion. I have never seen one or heard of one. I just thought I would let you know I run a wore out 150hp 5.0 with a carb and get 18mpg. I know people with injection and more ponies who pull almost 22mpg. The swap is not really that hard if your mechanical at all.

As for the motor mounts I went with the home made ones and they have worked just fine. You can set the engine pretty much anywhere you want it. That is what I liked most about them.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: SOHC V6 Conversion Vs EFI 302 Conversion???

Post by cgrey8 »

V8LTD wrote:...I never liked the truck on the hight way because it had no power there just noise. Currently it gets about 16mpg...
I know exactly what you mean there. I've got a 97 Ranger 4.0, and that's about all it does is make a bunch of noise. However I do run 93 octane and synthetic oil in it and it gets around 19MPG on a good day. But most of the time, it's between 17-18MPG.

V8LTD wrote:...which ones easier to do put the SOHC V6 in or the EFI 5.0?
I have absolutely no experience with the SOHC V6 engines. I'm not sure I've ever seen one...But it being a V6 would buy you out of a lot of problems while you make more. For instance, it's shorter than a V8 so there'd be less concern about relocating radiators and having to clear the steering sector because of oil filter locations. But because it's SOHC, I could guess you'd have clearance problems with the valve cover on the passenger side and your airbox (AC or non-AC). If the SOHC raised the valve covers extremely high, you may even interfere with the brake booster on the driver side, but you generally only have problems with the brake booster on big block Ranger conversions so I doubt you'd find this one to be a problem, just a thought to keep in mind though...

Being that the SOHC 4.0 is relatively new, I expect you'd run into the same problems I predicted with my setup. I have an 89 Ranger with a 2.9L I'll be replacing with a 97 Explorer 302. After discussing a number of options (read the forum's threads for details), the guys here on the Forum convinced me that I'd be way better off to abandon the '97 V8 computer, wiring harness, and DIS in lieu of all the problems I'd had trying to make them all work with the stuff my truck just simply wouldn't have (anti-theft sensors, ABS system, OBD-II connector, computer mounting location problems, fuel tank pressure monitoring and control, etc etc).

This now requires that I get an 89-93 Mustang computer/harness and replace the DIS with a distributor and ignition system. This won't be too terribly difficult since the 302 block is pretty much the same as it was when Ford ran Distributors on 302's (I hope. So far, it appears to be.)

In your case, I have no clue whether the SOHC 4.0 block is the same block as the older ones that would've run a distributor. You'd need to verify if you could run that engine without the computer designed for that SOHC engine. If you could and you decided to abandon the SOHC's computer, you'd have to find a computer and harness that would be compatible with the SOHC engine. The best thing I could think of would be the computer you are running on your existing 4.0. At a minimum, I'd expect sensors to be different between the two...a Ford Mechanic could elaborate better on this one than I could. I'm just spouting off questions that come to mind that would need answers.

The next issue with the V6 SOHC is whether you'd want to keep your existing tranny or not? would it be strong enough? what would fit on a 4.0 block? I'm not sure if AODs fit on V6 4.0's or not...maybe someone else could answer on that one...however just stabbing a guess, I doubt it. Now watch me be wrong (like usual).

V8LTD wrote:...I wanted to keep it 4x4 and I have a AOD to put in it. Will the book tell me everything i need to know.
I haven't researched 4x4 V8 conversions at all, however there are a number of people (even on this board) that have done a 4x4 conversion and could tell you all you'd want to know about it.

The only book I ever read about V8 conversions is from MRE Product written by Mark Reems. It's a good place to start, but after reading it, I found I had more questions than answers. It doesn't mention the SOHC V6 at all.

V8LTD wrote:Either way I go V6 or V8 i want fuel injection.

I think you'll find a V8 conversion will have more info, experience, support, and aftermarket products to draw from. The V8 also simply offers a greater headroom for future expansion to bigger and better things.

However if you are one of those pioneering souls that rarely takes the road of least resistance, you could be one of the 1st to do a SOHC V6 conversion, just be ready to pave a road and fill the potholes with your ass. But it can be done I'm sure...The question you'll have to ask yourself after researching both options is if it's worth it.

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

V8LTD, I found this thread from a similar V8 Ranger forum. It talks about doing a SOHC V6 swap.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums2 ... hp?t=14873

I'm actually suprised this thread hasn't gotten more response from others...

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org