8.8 rear end w/abs sensor convert to speedo sensor?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

zbart1108

8.8 rear end w/abs sensor convert to speedo sensor?

Post by zbart1108 »

Hello,i recently purchased a 302 Ranger with an 8.8 rear end. The rear end has the abs vss sensor and was wondering if anyone has ever tried using it for a sending unit for the speedo. I like to do thing different and "one-off" and seems like ni can make it work but wondered if it has ever been tried before.
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: 8.8 rear end w/abs sensor convert to speedo sensor?

Post by cgrey8 »

I've never heard of anybody trying. I believe the connector on the rearend ABS sensor is similar, if not the same as the VSS. However I have no clue how compatible the rate is.

The newer EECs starting somewhere around 98 started using the ABS to feed it vehicle speed. And of course the ABS system was getting speed off that sensor. However I don't know if any translation was going on or what. I do know the EEC also does some scaling to account for differences in rearend gears and tire diameters. And when you change gears or tire diameters aftermarket, you don't have a VSS you can change the gear on to correct speed. You have to go into the tune and update/modify those settings to correct for speed. Add to that in these models, the EEC also feeds the dash what the "adjusted" speed is.

But for someone to use that sensor on a setup that wasn't designed to use it AND to allow for adjustment to the signal conversion to get an accurate speed value, I've just never heard of. I'm sure it's possible to do. I just don't know anybody that has ever tried OR any aftermarket products that would.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
zbart1108

Re: 8.8 rear end w/abs sensor convert to speedo sensor?

Post by zbart1108 »

Very sorry,i should have stated that it is an '83 and has an '89 carborated 302 w/T5, only basic wiring,dash modified for the Auto Meter tach where fuel,oil,temp,amp gauges use to be...fuel and shift light in between tach and speedo...temp and oil gauges where ash tray use to be.
Highly modified yes,and still more to come lol. The build was started before me, im just cleaning up the mess lol.