99 Ranger- swap candidate

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

JFortner5

99 Ranger- swap candidate

Post by JFortner5 »

This is my first post so I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Joey and I live near Birmingham, AL. I've been driving Rangers for years, a couple 2.3's and a couple 3.0's.

I've been daily driving my 99 XLT 2wd (coil spring) for a few years now. I've been itching to get something a little nicer and better on gas to drive to work and back. Something like a little civic or something but I can't be without my truck so I plan to keep it. Since it will be retired from daily driver duty I could realize a dream I've had since I was 16 and have a V8 Ranger. Now I don't have immediate plans to buy a car but things may fall into place soon financially so I can make it happen. I know people post these things all the time and ask questions but nothing ever comes from it. I admit I've been guilty in the past but if I had time to build the truck and not have to drive it on Monday I know I can do this.

I'm in the very early planning stages but what I want is a street/strip type truck. Mostly it would be for cruising around on the weekends but I'd take it to the 1/8th mile as well. I'm interested in power obviously and would like to be able to run an 1/8th somewhere in the 8 second range or around a 12.5 or so 1/4. I haven't really researched how much power and suspension I'll need to do that though.

To start I just want to get a decent 5.0 and trans in the truck and be able to drive it. I could add heads and stuff later as time and money allows. My plan so far is to use a carbed 5.0 HO. I haven't quite decided whether I want to go automatic or manual but I'm leaning toward a C4.

I'm not looking for replies to this to answer a million questions but more to get pointed toward some good reading or build threads.

Another option is a small block Chevy. I know, a Chevy. I do love my Rangers but I'm not completely brand loyal. I have a good friend with a 350 and th350 transmission I could get for free. Should be the same difficulty as a SBF and a C4 I would think.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and put my plan out there. I should mention that this truck would be street driven but street manners aren't as important as having fun. Also no emissions requirements here.

Joey
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: 99 Ranger- swap candidate

Post by cgrey8 »

The easiest swap is probably going to be a 98-2001 Ford Explorer 5.0L with 4R70w. The 98-newer 4Rs are said to be the "tougher" version but all of them can be built to handle most anything you'd ever want to do in a Ranger.

The problem with going carb is there's a fair amount around the newer vehicles that are relatively tightly coupled with the engine EEC and ABS system. Removing them means you get oddities like some dash components don't work. Somewhere around 97-98, the transmissions quit using a speedo cable because the speed could be communicated to the dash via some other computer (EEC or ABS, can't remember).

Anyway, consider that option before just assuming you need to jump right to carb.

And of course if you live in an emission-tested area, a carb on a 99 isn't about to pass.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org