Need help I wanna know what I am getting in too

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Brey90

Need help I wanna know what I am getting in too

Post by Brey90 »

Hi I am not a fabricator I can do basic mechanics(i have two buddy that are fabrictors helping me out ) but I have wanting to build a ranger with a 5.0 for years and I just got a super clean 95 ranger for nothing so I want to know what am I getting into like what I need for parts , what tranny , can I leave the rear end things like this I have seen some
Parts list and even saw kit from jegs that's comes with everything for 400 bucks pls give me some help I am noob and really wanna learn
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Need help I wanna know what I am getting in too

Post by cgrey8 »

It all depends. There's pros and cons to any of the various options out there. And most people here on the forum can articulate them. So here's a set of "starting" questions to kind of hone in on what the project will be:
  • Are you keeping it EFI or carbed?
  • Are you wanting it to be manual or automatic?
  • Is the truck 2wd or 4wd?
  • What's the budget?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Brey90

Post by Brey90 »

Ok I would love fuel injection , but being carb does not bother me if it makes my life easier and less expensive , its a 2wd , and I want automatic , but then again stick won't bother me if its easier and cheaper , this won't be a daily all I want it for to zoom around town on my days off... I just wanna keep it simple , done right not cut corners , but not go crazy and blow a ton of money
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Each person will have their opinions, but here's mine based on what you said.

What you want is an Explorer 5.0L and transmission. The 96-01 Explorer engine bays were very similar to the 95-97 Ranger engine bays. The beauty of this strategy is you can reuse almost all of the Explorer wiring harness and EEC. It even locates in the same place as your 95 Ranger's stock EEC. And all dash interconnects also apply. If the 95 is already an automatic, then this makes things even easier going with the stock Explorer 4R70w automatic.

The differences are where you have to focus.

First major difference is Rangers use a steering box and Explorers use a rack-n-pinion. This is why all 97-earlier V8 Ranger conversions usually include a 90degree oil filter adapter and relocation kit. L&L Products and Canton both make an adapter that works well. I personally use the L&L, but I also have a Canton adapter that's sitting in storage somewhere doing nobody any good. If you decide you wanna buy it, make me an offer.

Next, in 98-99ish, the Explorers went to a returnless fuel system. So if you get a newer era Explorer 5.0L, you'll want to retrofit it back to a return style fuel rail. It's not hard to do. You can usually search eBay for return style Explorer fuel rails for reasonable prices.

I think the 95 Ranger speedometer uses a cable, but I can't remember. You'll need a 4R70w that also has a cable provision. Unfortunately, is the newer 99-01 era 4R70w transmissions that are actually "better" built. It's not that the 96-98 are bad, Ford just made some improvements to the transmission around 99.

The 98-up Explorer EECs also use Passive AntiTheft Systems (PATS) and thus can be a hassle to deal with. Most people just replace the EEC with a 97 EEC (catch code XDT2) to avoid dealing with PATS. If you can't find one and must use the PATS EEC you have, there are tuning devices to turn that OFF. Go to the EECTUNING.ORG Forum and contact a fella that goes by the user name decipha. He can set you up with a chip that has what you need.

My guess is a 97 Explorer 5.0L and 2wd trans with MAF, starter, wiring harness, EEC, and all the front dress is going to be what you want. it's going to be the easiest and most straight-forward installation for a 95-97 Ranger. Although it is the 1st year of the GT40p heads, which have extremely crappy exhaust manifolds. And because of their altered sparkplug angle, you cannot use standard 5.0L headers on them. If stock performance is good enough, then don't sweat it. However for a minor improvement in performance, upgrade to the 98-newer Explorer cast iron exhaust manifolds. If you have a deeper budget, then the Torque Monster headers are going to be your header of choice being the FMS Explorer headers aren't made anymore. If you found any, they'd most likely be used. Just be ready for the sticker shock. TMs aren't cheap.

If you can find a 96 Explorer 5.0L, it will have GT40 heads which can take a standard 5.0L header. So any V8 Ranger swap header would be an option at that point. James Duff and L&L Products sells them. And if you don't mind notching your frame, you can use Mustang headers. I think the Tri-Y headers might also work to clear the frame, but may have clearance issues with the trans...not sure on that one. The GT40 heads aren't bad, it's just the GT40p heads were better for emissions and actually improved power over the GT40. Many people robbed Explorer 5.0Ls of their heads to top their Mustang power plants as cheap bolt-on upgrades.

If you are lucky, like many others, you may be able to reuse your stock driveshaft with this setup. Although there are some that find they need to have it slightly shortened. Most of those that have to shorten it are those with Supercab Rangers. Stock cab Rangers seem to have far more success at reusing the stock driveshaft.

As for the stock Ranger rearend, if the stock engine is a 4.0L, it probably already has an 8.8" in it. If it does, nothing needs to be done. If it has a smaller 7.5" rear, then you "can" run it, but it may fail with harsh treatment. Or it may work just fine. Most people that can, take the opportunity to upgrade. But there are a number of V8 converted Rangers still running their stock 7.5" and with a stock V8 driven as a daily driver or with manners, it probably will last just fine. The 7.5's aren't junk. They just weren't meant for applications that have the torque a healthy V8 can produce. Regardless which rear, most people do prefer to run a limited slip rear though. So if yours is an open-diffy, an upgrade to a Ranger 8.8" with limited slip and an anti-sway bar would be a nice upgrade...again if there's budget.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Brey90

Post by Brey90 »

Thank you so much for all the info You have been extremely helpful I now understand what I takes ... Thank you again and have a happy new year
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If you have other questions, fire away.

I didn't mention the carb route and the complications there just because if you have a 95-97 Ranger, keeping EFI by using an Explorer engine is often simpler than what you have to go through to convert to carb. But a lot of people just prefer carb and are more comfortable going that route.

I'm sure there's probably a few other things I forgot to mention. But I think I hit most of the issues as it relates to a 95 Ranger V8 conversion using an Explorer donor 5.0L.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org