New to V8 Ranger

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

hazmat ranger

New to V8 Ranger

Post by hazmat ranger »

Hello Everyone - Hazmat Ranger (a.k.a. Tom) here from North Texas.

Yes I am the same Hazmat Ranger from the other forums. I currently have a 95 standard cab, fleetside bed Ranger with a 4.0 V6 and 5 speed. For the past year I have been gathering parts and building a swap meet motor from the bottom up. I got a stock bore 1967 289 and a .030 over 302 for $100. I chose the 289 because "everyone" does the 302, my entire build is all about being different than the masses.
Ok some details:
Block is a 1967 Windsor that has been bored .030 over. The crank got turned to 0.010 for the rods and mains. I kept the factory rods and had sealed power pistons installed (stock configuration to keep compression moderate). I chose a Lunati cam (.472 in & .496 ex lift with 214/224 duration). I had the heads machined with new guides, manley valves, Lunati keepers, and Lunati springs and caps. The cam is a 351W firing order as well.
I am using an Edelbrock F4B (Cobra replica intake) with a Holley 600 cfm carb. The headers are from Advanced Adapters and will be tied into either dynomax or magnaflow racing mufflers for their compact size. I will be running an early model AOD trans also. Seeing that I live in a county without emissions, I can run a carb and do not need all of the emissions components. I will also be running an MSD billet-pro dizzy with MSD coil and taylor spiro-pro 8.8mm wires.
A few pics:

The starting point:

Ready to build:

Moving along:

Headers and Modified DS Oil pan:

58CC 302 Heads:

Looking Pretty:

Engine Test/Break-In Stand:

Where it is going:

I am currently running stock wheels until I can afford another set of 315/35/17 rear tires - blow out!

I have plenty of questions but for now I am surfing the old posts and finding some answers. I have a ways to go before she is ready for the actual swap, so I have time to find my answers and be ready for swap day!
plowboy34
SM: No

Re: New to V8 Ranger

Post by plowboy34 »

exactly what heads are you running....I love the 289 engine, the rev quick. But I may be able to help you on the heads if I know which ones they are. I need the numbers like c7oz-B or C8OE-M or something like that,
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
hazmat ranger

Post by hazmat ranger »

plowboy34 wrote:exactly what heads are you running....I love the 289 engine, the rev quick. But I may be able to help you on the heads if I know which ones they are. I need the numbers like c7oz-B or C8OE-M or something like that,
They are 1969 302 Heads - cast number D00E. My Ford Parts Number book tells me they have 58CC chambers. No porting/polishing done to them.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Just reading over this, you didn't say whether the Lunati cam is a flat-tappet cam or roller cam?

If it's a roller cam, the 289 block isn't cast for roller lifters...at least not stock roller lifters like what came in Windsors from 85-up. You can use roller-convert lifters which are shorter. But I didn't see anywhere stating which lifter style your engine is. Point is, you DO NOT want to attempt to run stock-style roller lifters in a pre-85 block. The oil won't flow from the block to the lifters correctly or at all thus starving the top-end of oil.

If they are flat tappet lifters, then just make sure the cam is actually for flat-tappet lifters. But before turning it over if you are at all unsure if that's a roller cam or flat-tappet cam, BE SURE. AFAIK, there is a difference in lobe profile and they are not compatible. Otherwise you may find 500 miles later that your flat tappet lifters have been eaten up.

And a short tangent from this subject, make sure your cam gear is correct for your cam. Some are brass, others are steel. This is specific to the cam material used. TMK, the flat tappets are associated with brass dizzy gears while roller lifter cams are associated with the steel gears but I don't know that this is ALWAYS the case. Again, this is one of those places where if you get it wrong either the cam or the dizzy gear will get chewed up in about 500 miles. It won't take long.

This may be all info you have already researched and know. But just in case it isn't, I wanted to bring it up while the engine is still on the stand and not in the truck where it is much harder to make changes.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
hazmat ranger

Post by hazmat ranger »

The cam is a flat tappet and the lifters are Lunati also for this cam. As for the dizzy gear, I have read a little about it but will have to verify that before starting her for the first time.

Thanks for the info . . .
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Looks like a good clean build. Recconize the name. I'm on both RPS and TRS and TeddyZee drops in once in awhile also. Another one with quite a little info on them old motors. Think there are two still in the garage. Depending on which pistons you went with, the 2V or 4V, your compresson ratio could be 9:3 or 10:1 with the stock '67' heads.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Welcome to a great sight.. Lots of smart people in here to answer about any question you may have.. Your build is looking good so far...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cee21

Post by cee21 »

What accessory set up are you going to run?