quick transmision question ..

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Toomanycars

quick transmision question ..

Post by Toomanycars »

So my truck came stock with a 4.o and a auto tranny .. I am using the factory aod auto tranny that was in the 89 Lincoln donor car..
I am going with stock mustang gt convertible motor mounts ... I have been reading some swap fact sheets and most of the info is on using a c4 or c6 tranny . but from the little bits of info I am finding I should be able to use the stock trans mount and use the stock drive shaft with the 5.0 trans yoke installed...

can anyone confirm or deny this info.??

thanks in advance
plowboy34
SM: No

Re: quick transmision question ..

Post by plowboy34 »

On my son's 85 Longbed it had the 2.3 engine and 5 speed trans, we did the 1/4 inch plate mounts and used an AOD. Yes we used the stock Ranger trans crossmember and the AOD tranny mount. All we had to do was oval the holes in the crossmember about a half of stud and it went right in. We just put a heavy flat washer on it to secure it a little better. Also yes we just put the yoke from the donor car on the front of the stock Ranger driveshaft and installed it. We didn't have to modify it in any way, I couldn't believe that part. I just knew we would have to have it shortened or lengthened but it was perfect.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

do you happen to remember witch u-joint you used?
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

I can't remember if it was the donor car or the Ranger one but it was one of them cause we didn't have to get a special one or anything like that. I am leaning towards the Ranger cause it seems it hadn't been long since we had put u-joints in his truck before we did swap that is why I didn't put a new one in. It has been several years since swap and I am getting old, memory just isn't there like it use to be.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Toomnaycars.... if it has the stock 7.5 in the Ranger and the stock 7.5 in the donor car... then they will be the same .... now..... if the Ranger has the 7.5 an the car has a 8.8 .. then the joints will be different .... the ones for the 8.8 are bigger(more heavy duty) then the ranger 7.5 ones.... im running into the same problem here... Ranger had a 7.5 goin to a 8.8 and the stock Ranger joints are smaller in cap size and cross the middle (outside to outside) ... so ya need to use dial calipers to be sure on that one ......as far as the length .... i have seen a few fit directly ...... not many tho ... most ppl have to have new one made.... like me ..... you can shorten one... but its NOT advisable to have one lengthened .... anyway... hope this helped some ..... oh.. im goin with an aluminum one with a wall thickness of .125 .... so it should outlast the truck and the HP.... lol

if yall know anyone that is looking for a Mustang GT SVO aluminum shaft.... i got a new one here .... dunno the measurements on it but i could go measure it if anyone is interested ....... i thought i could use it on my swap... but... its to short for my application .....so that is why im having one made .....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

my tuck has an 8.8 rear .. the donor car has a 9incher with a lsd ..I got the rear end out of the donor car as well ..I will be puting that in later down the road..