explorer brackets/underdrive pulleys

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

painterdude923

explorer brackets/underdrive pulleys

Post by painterdude923 »

I have read that I would need to run an explorer timing cover and water pump to run the explorer brackets with sepintine belt set up. does anyone know if that is true? I have 1990 mustang timing cover and water pump. I have explorer balancer and pulley now and I'm not going to run the underdrive pulleys. just stock pulleys. could use some input :?
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: explorer brackets/underdrive pulleys

Post by cgrey8 »

You can run Explorer brackets with other timing cover setups as long as you shim the brackets out from the engine to get alignment right. I think Malcolm used plain-ole flat washers as shims to get the belt alignment right. The timing cover and balancer/pulley setup will need to "match" though.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
painterdude923

Post by painterdude923 »

thanks for the tips! :)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Here's the page where Malcolm did this on his old red Ranger:
Red Ranger>Accessory Bracket Setup

At one point, he had a pic showing the bracket being shimmed out using washers, but it's not up there anymore. He does indicate at the very bottom that the shim distance is ~7/16".
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cgrey8 wrote:At one point, he had a pic showing the bracket being shimmed out using washers, but it's not up there anymore.
Maybe it was just something I posted in the forum? Been a while and I don't remember.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The bracket I remember seeing a pic of was of the bracket on the right side which held the power steering pump. The washer/shims were as seen from above, right behind the pump. What I don't recall is if the pump was in place or not. I seem to recall it was about 5 washers stacked up.

But yeah, it probably was a pic you posted in the forum or possibly emailed to me at one point.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org