fuel injection

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

glenn201

fuel injection

Post by glenn201 »

I just found a 1989 5.0 mustang motor is junk runs but smokes bad what i need to know is how hard will it be to put that fuel injection on my ranger what all do i have to have from the mustang an does some make a wiring harness to do this
87 ford ranger 302 4speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: fuel injection

Post by cgrey8 »

It all depends on how much comes with the engine. If you are getting fuel injectors, fuel rail, wiring harness, computer, and all the accessories, then it's an easier task than if all you have is just the engine. But concentrating on just the EFI-side of things, the main things you need are the computer, wiring harness (main, injector, and HEGO harnesses), and all the sensors/controls such as MAF, ECT, ACT, EGR, CANP, TPS, TFI dizzy, VSS (speed sensor), TAB/TAD (smog pump solenoids), etc. If you want to eliminate the EGR, Canister Purge, and Smog Pump, you'll need to put a chip on the computer to tune those things out. Those are EASY mods if you have the hardware and software to do it. If you ever plan to make mods to the engine (cam, heads, intake, stroker kit), then a tune will definitely be in your future. Even the differences between an Explorer 5.0L and a Mustang 5.0L were enough for me to need tweaks in my tune to get it to run like I wanted. But once I had the ability to tweak at the tune, I kept tinkering. Now I've got the engine cruising super-lean to get me another 2 MPG above what I could get with the stock tune driving around town and on the highway. And since I have access to the tune, I can also run higher concentrations of ethanol and tune for more performance.

As for the hardware, when I did my swap, I customized my harness to relocate all the wires from where they were on the Mustang to where they are on my Ranger. When I was done, my modified Mustang harness plugged right into all my stock Ranger engine bay harnesses just like the stock V6 harness did. Doing that required that I clip all those same harnesses off of a similar year Ranger in a junkyard so I could solder those connectors onto my harness. That was one heck of a job. It wasn't hard work, but it was tedious figuring out what wire does what, and determining where it needed to go on the Ranger. It required i have both the Mustang and Ranger wiring diagrams. From there, I made notes about each harness I needed and what wire needed to go to that harness to work with the Ranger. Again, it wasn't hard work, just LOTS of details to keep track of.

I've also heard of people making adapter harnesses where all the Mustang's connectors are left alone and they make a harness to go between the Mustang and the Ranger. That seemed like a lot more work and added connectors to the system that add more chance for bad connections to exist over time. But that is an option to consider.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
glenn201

Post by glenn201 »

well im buying the whole car
87 ford ranger 302 4speed
plowboy34
SM: No

Post by plowboy34 »

I wish I could find something like that.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)