Transmission question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

onefstbird

Transmission question

Post by onefstbird »

Hello Guys This is my first post I have been sneaking around the v-8 ranger forums lately and have a few questions I cannot seem to find on search engines. I have a 2000 ranger 2wd 3.0 5 speed long bed with 320xxx miles on it (still runs great) But sooner or later it will go. I am looking to get a 2000 explorer with the 5.0. What 5 speed tranny will fit in the ranger and bolt to the 5.0 with little to no modification. Also would I have to have the computer reprogrammed from the explorer because of the change from an auto to a stick? I have seen some pages saying that I will have to have my drive shaft modified also. Any and all info would be great! thanks
Teddyzee
SM: No

Re: Transmission question

Post by Teddyzee »

A T5 from a Mustang is a good choice.
Not sure if the ECU "has" to be reprogrammed, but it would certainly show the check engine light without seeing the auto trans. (All Explorer 5.0s were automatic)

I was able to use my stock driveshaft (5sp Ranger to Mustang T5). I used it to decide where to place the engine.
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console