WOW........

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

fordmike
SM: No

WOW........

Post by fordmike »

What happened to this forum board :?: Its been about a week and no one has anything to post or say? :lol: I am on a few other boards and there is always something posted on them every day. I check in here every day only to be amazed that nothing is going on. Does anyone have any thing that they would like to add to this post? Come on guys lets hear it. :mrgreen:
Teddyzee

Re: WOW........

Post by Teddyzee »

Too busy driving the thing, rather than wrenching!

Mmm, pizza!

'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

We can always depend on Teddy speaking up......LOL. :mrgreen:
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Yep, kind of dead lately! Got thru the hot weather and stayed in working on the neglected house. When it did cool off, it rained. When that stopped, had to mow grass, so long it leaves rows that I aim to pick up the next day but then rain again. Trying to put some fence up but had to dig the holes with the old manual digger, too many rocks. Hate to think about it but we could have frost in five weeks up here. That means getting the trucks and car ready. Need tires for the "new" 4x4. Need to clean out one stall of the garage to get the dead one moved in. It never ends.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

Dave wrote:Yep, kind of dead lately! Got thru the hot weather and stayed in working on the neglected house. When it did cool off, it rained. When that stopped, had to mow grass, so long it leaves rows that I aim to pick up the next day but then rain again. Trying to put some fence up but had to dig the holes with the old manual digger, too many rocks. Hate to think about it but we could have frost in five weeks up here. That means getting the trucks and car ready. Need tires for the "new" 4x4. Need to clean out one stall of the garage to get the dead one moved in. It never ends.
Dave
Yea its been very HOTT here to. We are waiting for it to cool down so it will be very nice out. Winter here is so great as the temps are are usally in the high 60's to low 70's during the day. It does get cold at night here in the desert. It gets down into the 20's at times. :lol:
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I'm still waiting for the machinist. The latest update is that he got a 2nd set of Mahle pistons in and they didn't like the loose tolerances from piston to piston. So he sent them back and got a set of JE's. He said they look a lot better. The odd thing is I stopped by his shop to drop off some rotors for him to turn (for free) and while I was there, I asked to take a peek at the JEs just to see how they looked before they got installed. And he told me something kind of surprising/upsetting. He said they weren't there. I asked if he had them at an other shop and he said "Something like that..." which leads me to believe he couldn't get the accuracy he promised so he's got another machine shop doing that portion of the work he doesn't seem capable of doing himself. Whatever as long as I get the block in the condition I paid for. All I know is I'm tired of getting jerked around. I'm ready to get this thing built and see what 331 cubes can do compared to the stock 302 I'm daily driving now.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

It's just my busy time of year, I look quite often to just keep up just don't post much.

cgrey, I know what you mean about machinist. A real good one is hard to find. I had a Great one in Sacramento then I moved here to SE Missouri and it took a while to find one. He is expensive but he does awesome work. I actually took one of my 460 blocks to a shop here(I always stamp my blocks somewhere to make sure I get mine back) they told me they were really backed up and would probably be two weeks before they could get to it. They called in two days and said my block was cracked.....hmmm....two weeks....called in two days. So I boogie on down there and what do you know, no personal stamp on said cracked block. You should have seen his face when I informed him that was not my block and told him of my stamp and I proceeded to check all big block Ford blocks until I found mine. I loaded all my stuff up, he told me how much I owed him for the work he had done, I laughed and told him to call the cops got in truck and left. Seems funny that shop is no longer in business. I assure you if I thought something funny was going on I would be looking for another machinist.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

plowboy34 wrote:It's just my busy time of year, I look quite often to just keep up just don't post much.

cgrey, I know what you mean about machinist. A real good one is hard to find. I had a Great one in Sacramento then I moved here to SE Missouri and it took a while to find one. He is expensive but he does awesome work. I actually took one of my 460 blocks to a shop here(I always stamp my blocks somewhere to make sure I get mine back) they told me they were really backed up and would probably be two weeks before they could get to it. They called in two days and said my block was cracked.....hmmm....two weeks....called in two days. So I boogie on down there and what do you know, no personal stamp on said cracked block. You should have seen his face when I informed him that was not my block and told him of my stamp and I proceeded to check all big block Ford blocks until I found mine. I loaded all my stuff up, he told me how much I owed him for the work he had done, I laughed and told him to call the cops got in truck and left. Seems funny that shop is no longer in business. I assure you if I thought something funny was going on I would be looking for another machinist.
Good catch there. I did have that happen to me to but it was a little diffrent. I droped off a 302 to have boared .030 over and when they called me to come and pick it up. As it was getting loaded by them I just happened to notice that it was a flat tappet block and not a roller block. I told them that was not my block and they said it has to be as they didnt have any other ford 302's there. I told them that mine was a roller block and they said there is no way and that was the block I droped off. I told them that I have the roller cam and lifters I took out sitting on my work bench so I know mine was a roller block. Well I searched to whole shop and like they said there was no other 302's there and I got stuck with a nonroller block. I think that they messed up a roller block and took mine and gave it away and then found out that there was a nother customer who had a block there. I now always mark my blocks and take a picture of them at the shop with the markings that I made. Lesson to be learned here guys.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

They did the head and valve work. And I know for sure that the heads I got back are the heads I gave them since I did the porting and knew what I did and didn't do.

However the block I'm not as familiar with. I do have pics of it including the XXX valley casting that was only added to 302 blocks sometime in the late 90s...around 95ish? As long as I get a roller block in return, I could really care less if I get my block back. But I do want a good block, not a screwed-up block.

One thing I should've done was take the cam and thrustplate back off. But I just didn't think it'd be this big of a deal getting my stuff back. Oh well, live-n-learn.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Busy time of the year for me too. We had a family crisis so all playing has ended for the last couple months. My trans grinds in 3rd and 4th but still works so I've been driving it as my work truck for most of this summer. Plan to replace the trans and intake this winter if $ allows it.
I did find enough time to chop the top on my 46 :D it still needs some more labor.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
Chris

Post by Chris »

I just haven't had much time to do anything lately. Still in process of moving. My house sold faster than we anticipated and we have to be out by sept 16. Problem is my new house won't be ready until November. So everything we own is going into storage and my mom has an extra bed for us until it ready. Don't like the idea of moving back in with my mom but its only for a few months and it's better than getting an apartment.

Ranger is going into storage also. Don't seem like I'll ever get that thing running.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
Soul

Post by Soul »

I been hiding. Just moved up here and trying to find something to do. No garage = no fun. I should be a bit more active for the next 3 weeks
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

My 83 Ranger project is on hold right now. Work has been very slow and I havent had any extra money to buy a few things that I have needed for it. This sucks as I have never been this broke. :mrgreen:
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I have just been real bussy..... lots of projects to do around the house. Then theres fire wood.. Any free time I have had I have been getting my wood cut and split.. Any extra money I had went into my Mountaineer...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

v8ranger wrote:I have just been real bussy..... lots of projects to do around the house. Then theres fire wood.. Any free time I have had I have been getting my wood cut and split.. Any extra money I had went into my Mountaineer...
I hear ya on the fire wood, I've got about 20 more face cord to split and stack to be ready for this winter :(
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver