Inner cylinders rich, outer cylinders lean??

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Chris
SM: No

Re: Inner cylinders rich, outer cylinders lean??

Post by Chris »

Hell, I would have never thought about that if v8ranger hadn't mentioned the divider plate on his boat intake.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

See if you can get pics. Seeing what you are dealing with might solve some questions.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

How did you ever make out with this??? Where you able to figure out why it was doing that??
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Nope he just kept driving it. It's something I'd want to fix asap but he just wants to drive. Ahhh sucks. When I told him he had to pull the intake and check things out he just blew that off. I just hope he doesn't blow that motor up as he has a ton of money in it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Chris

Post by Chris »

I hate to hear that with as much money as he has tied up in there. He's either going to melt the outers or wash out the walls and rings on the inners. Either way it's a bad thing. Some people...
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Any chance he'd consider CNG? No washing or liquid pooling to worry about.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

lol not unless CNG added 100hp. He's talking nitrous now and I wouldn't be surprised if E85 is in the near future. Already bought a nitrous kit. However he's going to have to fix a problem first. We were out running yesterday (hit up a local show/cruise) and then on the way home he let out of it at high rpms in 3rd and went to put it in first and I think he accidentally put it in 2nd, we're not entirely sure what happened, and the car momentarily shot up to about 8k rpms and then died. That's pretty high rpms for a mopar 440 stroked and bored to a 493.

He has a manual valve body in the tranny and it works like this P R N 1 2 3. So manual valve body meaning there is no D or drive. You manually shift it from 1s to 2nd to 3rd and down. Also if you're already rolling and put it in 1st say from 2nd or 3rd it'll drop to idle and stay there and let the car coast unless you touch the throttle then it'll engage first and make it grab. So what had happened is he had the car wrapped up to 6k rpms in 3rd which is as high as it goes (6k spark cut out) and he did the double tap it knock it in 1st and coast down to slower speeds but something went wrong and it either went into 2nd only or 1st and somehow it engaged. We don't know. What we do know is it suddenly wrapped the rpms to 8k or so and now it doesn't start lol.

We confirmed he's still getting fuel and spark so I'm thinking maybe bent pushrods? He's doing a compression test now so we'll see what he finds.

Here's a few pics of the charger.

Micky Thompsons on the back. Boy do those suckers hook. Just put those on yesterday (day pic was taken). Didn't even have a chance to get the matching front rims on yet.

My car, a buddies 2011 SVT Packaged GT500 and of course the Charger

On the way home and some problems

92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Chris

Post by Chris »

Now that's a good looking charger! Hopefully he can get it figured out and getting running again. 8k is pretty high for an engine that size unless it was built to handle it. I use to take my stock 289 to 8k now and again, it's scary that high up.

Best of luck to him.

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah it's pretty clean and nice car. Definitely gets a lot of attention where ever it goes. His motor is pretty stout but I don't think it was made for that high rpms. He has forged internals, h-beam rods etc. but he never intended on spinning the motor more than 6k.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Good looking plum crazy Charger, he better get the problem fixed befor the Nitros, nitros causes a lean cylinder condition so you can feed more fuel. With the few lean cylinders allready, he's going to be very sad when he hits it.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Oh I know. Myself and some other friends have tried explaining that to him but he's all gun ho about just running it so he may have to learn that one the hard way.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

MalcolmV8 wrote:Oh I know. Myself and some other friends have tried explaining that to him but he's all gun ho about just running it so he may have to learn that one the hard way.
That's also a very, very expensive way to learn. I have always had a sweet spot in my heart for them late Dodges/Plymoughs. They sure had the power back then, today's performace cars would blow their door off - still like to have one of them old school big blocks, it's ani't all just it what power you got.
Dave of the Nord
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

We used to blow his doors off too when he had his old 360 in there but I tell you what that 493 is pretty dang wicked. From about a 50 mph roll to 120ish I only pull about 3 car cars on him. Sometimes more and I'm not sure why. I don't think that carb technology is very consistent ;) That 2011 GT 500 with the SVT package, 3:73 gears is not bad either. Factory 550 hp and it only pulls about 1/2 to 1 car on that Charger.

Needless to say he blows the doors of most cars on the streets with no problem. Kills the new 5.0 Mustangs, even the majority of the GT 500s who have regular guys driving that don't know how to really drive them and shift.

However my car has A/C, power steering, smooth ride, corners like it's on rails, stops on a dime and decent gas mileage.
Charger: no A/C, no heat even, no power steering, corners like an ocean liner, stopping is scary as hell at best with those factory drums and at some 4 ~ 6 mpg it's down right horrible for anything but a toy. To me there's just no overall comparison to today's cars. Take it to a car show though or just stop at a gas station and it attracts people like I've never seen before.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

MalcolmV8 wrote:However my car has A/C, power steering, smooth ride, corners like it's on rails, stops on a dime and decent gas mileage.
Charger: no A/C, no heat even, no power steering, corners like an ocean liner, stopping is scary as hell at best with those factory drums and at some 4 ~ 6 mpg it's down right horrible for anything but a toy. To me there's just no overall comparison to today's cars. Take it to a car show though or just stop at a gas station and it attracts people like I've never seen before.

I like old school myself also, but your right, you cant beat today's technology. His car looks great though... Would look much better if he had matching rims all the way around it....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

I'm old skool too but I am old. If your only pulling him that much maybe if he would try to get that thing tuned right he might give you a run. I know you know but if he puts nitrous on that thing with a lean condition that engine is history.....garunteed.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)