Explorer intake and Mustang valve covers

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Chris
SM: No

Explorer intake and Mustang valve covers

Post by Chris »

I've finally getting some work done on this thing. Saturday I got my valve covers painted and installed, then I painted and installed my lower intake. I was getting really excited to see it all coming together. I decided to set my upper intake on to see what everything will look like. Thats when I discovered my problem. My oil fill tube comes up right in front of my throttle body. I'm using stock aluminum Mustang valve covers that I modified to clear my roller rockers. Has anybody else come across this? Is there anything that can be done on the cheap(I'm already WAY over budget)?
Attachments
IMGP0015 2.jpg
IMGP0013 2.jpg
IMGP0012 2.jpg
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Explorer intake and Mustang valve covers

Post by cgrey8 »

Yep, Dave had this same problem and so what he did was jacked the upper intake higher using an intake spacer.

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51520020 - Trick Flow® EFI Heat Spacer Kits

This is the result:

But when he did that, he ran into another problem. The cap was no longer a clearance issue, but was still covered up by the elbow. And he had to add some pipe to the EGR line since the spacer increased the distance between the EGR and the manifold.

So yeah these are common complications when you use valve covers other than the Explorer covers when also trying to reuse the elbow. Most people ditch the elbow and set it up like a Mustang including using a Mustang throttlebody that opens in the opposite rotating direction as an Explorer throttlebody.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Chris

Post by Chris »

I was actually considering a 1" intake spacer but was wondering what everybody else was using. I just didn't want to have to remove my intake tube to the throtle body every time I change my oil. Maybe a long funnel...
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Why not just swap the valve covers side to side?? I know it will end up putting the oil fill on the back side. But why cant you just do that. Then you just have to make a couple of your vacum lines longer... Or just get a differant set of covers... Just my 2 cents....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Then the plenum would be ontop of the oil filler cap.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

The Explorer valve cover uses a rubber fill tube that has a bend to clear the intake tubing. You could cut your fill tube to a 1" height, and then use the Ex piece or similar on top.

'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I may have found a solution. I'm going to try raising the upper intake 1" then cut the oil fill lower. Then I will use a push in style breather/ oil fill cap with a rubber grommet. I believe this will allow me to remove the oil breather without having to remove the intake tube just to refill my oil. I'll find out this weekend...
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.