Fuel pump issue

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Soul
SM: No

Fuel pump issue

Post by Soul »

Ok, Did the v8 swap on my 88 tc (turbo coupe) and now the fuel pump primes and stops, what do I need to do to make it run with the engine? Also my fuel regulator isn't working, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-10653/?rtype=1 this is the one I'm running, it was adjusted to 9 lbs and when I adjusted the thing it jumped to 15lbs and no matter what I do that is what it stays at. Did I blow the guts out of it or something? I made the fuel pump run but grounding the test pin on the connector just to hear the motor run. I appreciate the help btw . I'm looking at buying a fuel pump relay and wiring it directly, if I do this I can get rid of most of the factory wiring, well after I sort out what goes to the brakes and what not.
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
carvinmark

Re: Fuel pump issue

Post by carvinmark »

Not sure how to help you but Summit would be getting a regulator back. So how's it sound? Bet it's sweet!
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
Soul

Post by Soul »

Loud lol, 3 inch header dump is mean. It has to be regulating it some what as that is a walbro 255 lph pump in tank and would be putting out 40 lbs otherwise.
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

Soul wrote:Ok, Did the v8 swap on my 88 tc (turbo coupe) and now the fuel pump primes and stops, what do I need to do to make it run with the engine?
Did you check to see if you are getting spark? The computer turns on and off the fuel pump when it recives a signal from the ignition module.
Soul

Post by Soul »

I hooked the tach wire up to the dist thinking that was it as well but it doesn't run (granted the tach is way off since it for 4 cyl)
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

My dad than I have had a lot of problems with fuel pumps. You must eliminate just the pump in the tank but leave the pick up. (pulling through will eventually cause the electric pump to fail.) I have a 91 and it too had one in the tank and on the frame rail. bypass the one on the frame rail and usually the lines are way small for the stock engine. Replace all the lines I used 5/16 inside diameter. Also use the fuel pump required for your engine not the truck. My case I have one for a 93 mustang and its mounted just before the tank. The little $50 after market electric pump are junk, my truck as gone through about 10 of them in about 50k miles. Best bet to run a fuel pressure gauge so you know you have at least a constant 7lbs at all times if not you know something is not right. They recommend using a taugo swith to turn off your pump in a hurry in case of a collision the gas dont continue pumping. I havent done this yet but will one day. Take my advise and save you a lot of head ache, time and money as it did me
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

jzwartster wrote:My dad than I have had a lot of problems with fuel pumps. You must eliminate just the pump in the tank but leave the pick up. (pulling through will eventually cause the electric pump to fail.) I have a 91 and it too had one in the tank and on the frame rail. bypass the one on the frame rail and usually the lines are way small for the stock engine. Replace all the lines I used 5/16 inside diameter. Also use the fuel pump required for your engine not the truck. My case I have one for a 93 mustang and its mounted just before the tank. The little $50 after market electric pump are junk, my truck as gone through about 10 of them in about 50k miles. Best bet to run a fuel pressure gauge so you know you have at least a constant 7lbs at all times if not you know something is not right. They recommend using a taugo swith to turn off your pump in a hurry in case of a collision the gas dont continue pumping. I havent done this yet but will one day. Take my advise and save you a lot of head ache, time and money as it did me
I think he is running injection and will require alot more fuel pressure than us carb guys do.
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

oh thats why he at 15 lbs. Would imagine he will still have to take the same route to getiing there as far as eliminating the stock pumps and lines and making sure there are no kinks in the line.
Soul

Post by Soul »

No I'm carbed, all line was replaced with 3/8ths hard line to the front, but I would like to use my walbro 255 lph pump intank. The regulator just isn't cutting it down enough, it does have a return on the pump so I don't know wtf is going on. I'm taking a break from it this weekend. I guess I'm going to either put another reg on the fire wall and wire in a relay off a keyed ignition source and work it that way. I'm open to suggestions. Mostly I don't understand how the fuel pump is told to run, I know that
1. Key is turned pump primes
2. pin 22 on comp is fp
3. Wire runs to IRCM on fender
4. Wire goes to Safety in trunk
5. goes to Fuel pump

I just need to know what tells to run after truck is running and what I can splice into, failing that I'll do my above Idea.
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

I know I tried to run a regulator and was unsuccessful. took it back and found they recalled that hooly relay. i also had trouble with running a retuen line. there are several ways to hhok up the regulator maybe its not working. Thry eliminating both the regulator and return. Try to get gas to the carb and woory about the rest once you get it there. Dont give up you will get it. I know you want to hear it run!
Soul

Post by Soul »

It gets gas to the front just at 15lbs pushes the floats open and floods it, I can prime it, crank it and start it. Runs util bowls are empty. I moved it around.
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

My dads chevy truck had injection and now has a carb with a inline pump with a regulator in line and a return line off the regulator back to the tank. We could not keep enough fuel pressure with the return line on so I pluged the return outlet on the regulator and all is good. Hope this helps some.
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

As carvinmar said as I too, eliminate the return. Are your floats adjusted correctly. You can serch you tube on most carb and they will give you walk through instruction on adjusting your floats. Thats what it sounds like to me.
Soul

Post by Soul »

Yes floats are correct, floats only hold back 7lbs of gas, if your above 7lbs it bypasses them and floods the car. I have to have a return for the fuel regulator I'm running.
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

If you are running a carb then I would get a pick up from a carb'ed Mustang (85) and put that into your tank to get rid of the EFI pump and then use a low pressure fuel pump like a Holley red. You will not be able to regulate down the fuel pressure enough using a low pressure regulator on a high pressure pump. Good luck. :mrgreen: