HID conversion

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Adam McLaughlin
SM: No

HID conversion

Post by Adam McLaughlin »

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here tried to do a HID conversion to their truck?

After driving other cars with HID lighting, my truck seems to be lacking quite a bit in the visibility department. I ever have new head lamp lenses and lights, but nothing compares to the HID setups.

Anyone have some success doing this with their own rig? What did you guys use?

I am all ears...

Adam
1992 Ranger with a 1995 357 L Engine - 9.4:1 Compression & AFR 185 CC Heads- A9L and Moates Chip - AOD and 3.73 Detroit Locker *smog legal* in California
1989 Mustang w/ H/C/I V-2 SQ and A9S w/ TwEECer
carvinmark

Re: HID conversion

Post by carvinmark »

I got a pair of them, just waiting for the snow to leave and I will put them in. My truck is under about 2' of snow out back.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

carvinmark wrote:I got a pair of them, just waiting for the snow to leave and I will put them in. My truck is under about 2' of snow out back.
Same here! Just waiting and waiting and waiting.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

i put some in my truck over a year ago ..... they look kewl as hell.... it changes the colors of the road signs .. so that took some gettin used too .... and they are BRIGHT as hell too .... i was impressed .... just thought i would put my 2 cents in ...lol....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Grumpy wrote:i put some in my truck over a year ago ..... they look kewl as hell.... it changes the colors of the road signs .. so that took some gettin used too .... and they are BRIGHT as hell too .... i was impressed .... just thought i would put my 2 cents in ...lol....
Good to know that. A friend just put them in my old Cherokee and he loves them.
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Dave wrote:
carvinmark wrote:I got a pair of them, just waiting for the snow to leave and I will put them in. My truck is under about 2' of snow out back.
Same here! Just waiting and waiting and waiting.
Dave
I see you are under the white stuff too, hope some thaws this next week.
Adam McLaughlin

Can you guys specify WHAT you bought for your truck? I would like to try these as well but don't want to be mistaken and buy some crap that is really junk.

Adam
1992 Ranger with a 1995 357 L Engine - 9.4:1 Compression & AFR 185 CC Heads- A9L and Moates Chip - AOD and 3.73 Detroit Locker *smog legal* in California
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I asked this questions a few years ago. Here's the info from that thread:
HID Conversion Kits

There are some things to be aware of...like the loss of high beams in most cases. Read it over and see what you think.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

I don't know the brand, I got them on ebay a couple months ago. Will check to see who makes them next time I am in my shop. Think I spent about 60.00 on them with the bulbs.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

i dont have my truck here to look at the name brand.... but it didnt take but like 20 mins to install the WHOLE kit.. its all plug and play......
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Did yalls kits force you to sacrifice high beams?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Better not! But my friend had that problem on the Cherokee, no brites. He sent them back and got ones similar to mine and they have both high and low beams.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The kits I saw that had high and low beams were hybrids. The low beams used the Xenon HID technology with the ballasts. However they high beam was a tiny incandescent halogen bulb. The bulbs I have in the truck now are Xenon (as opposed to Halogen), but they are still just incandescent bulbs. The filaments are also higher power 80w/100w than what's technically legal for the road (45w/65w). And they are the dark blue glass bulb to give the headlights a blue look.

I'm still interested in getting an HID conversion, but after looking into it a few years ago, I decided against it. But perhaps the technology and offering is better now. If you can get us pictures of the setup and the bulb, that would be interesting info to have along with these discussions.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Adam McLaughlin

Wow for $60... I was imagining this conversion to be something like $500.

High beams... I don't think that I have ever turned them on in the eight years that I have owned and daily driven the truck. Might have something to do with my vision, or perhaps I just don't ever "need" them.

Adam
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I find that in the city, I rarely use them if ever. But as soon as I drive out on the country, they get turned on. In fact, I had additional high beam running lights on the front bumper to augment the 100w high beams. With the old 2.9L's wimpy 40a alternator, I could have my 100w H3 fog lamp pair on, 100w high beams, and 100w running lights all running (600w total), and the alternator couldn't maintain 13v. If I blasted the blower motor, the voltage was dropping well below 12v.

The 97 Explorer V8's 130a has no trouble handling that load. I can even blast the blower motor and the voltage is held solid.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org