T5 tail and clutch

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

macenc

T5 tail and clutch

Post by macenc »

Ok guy's, I have searched and searched and read and read and read. Every time I think I have found my answere , I read something that tells me it won't work.
Most posts on these topics are old and I hope some of you have found solutions !
I have a 97 ext cab stepside and am transplanting a 97 explorer 5.0. I have the complete Explorer. I am wanting to install with it a T-5 from a 92 GT.
Here goes the questions.

1. What year and type s10 tailshaft works best ? Do I want the cable or electric speedo version ? Is the speedo hole at the correct angle or not ? Some posts make it sound like all I need do is move the gear on the shaft.

2. What is the best low cost solution for the hyd clutch ? I have heard 83 280Z, late 80's F150 and late 80's Ranger. All seem to have their own problems

3. If I go with the auto tranny, which 4r70w is the most durable ? I have heard that a 5.4l F150 and also a police car.

4. Which is the desiereable headers with the GT40P heads ? I am not sure yet which I have, but with my luck, it will be the most expensive headers required.

5. My truck doesn't have tilt, cruise or power windows. Is the wiring in the harness ? Can I add a tilt / cruise column with the Explorer stuff and it work ? Can I add Power switches and regulators and have power windows ?

6. Is the Sport Trac instrument cluster a PLUG and PLAY ?

7. Has anyone added a power rear glass from a Sport Trac ?

8. Has anyone swapped a newer front clip ( 2004 - 2010 ) onto the 93 -97 ranger

Many THANKS in advance !!! I am excited to get this project under way !
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: T5 tail and clutch

Post by cgrey8 »

macenc wrote:1. What year and type s10 tailshaft works best ?...
Don't bother. Get a standard T5 with rear-located shifter. It'll locate the shifter up closer and in a far more sporty location. Having a mid-mount shifter would require you have a LONG arm shifter like the stock Ranger shifter does...not very sporty.
macenc wrote:...Do I want the cable or electric speedo version ?...
Choose whichever your Ranger requires.
macenc wrote:...Is the speedo hole at the correct angle or not ? Some posts make it sound like all I need do is move the gear on the shaft...
Again, use the stock GT T5 or similar and you shouldn't have an issue with this. Just make sure you use a T5 Z-spec, a 93 Cobra T5, or a pre-94 T5. The 94-95 GT T5s have longer input shafts and an 8-tooth speedo gear. You DO NOT want the 8-tooth gear. You want the 7-tooth.
macenc wrote:...2. What is the best low cost solution for the hyd clutch ? I have heard 83 280Z, late 80's F150 and late 80's Ranger. All seem to have their own problems...
The easiest clutch setup I've seen so far is to use the 83-84 V6 Ranger external slave is the easiest. Reuse the quick-connect connector on your stock internal center-mount slave on the external slave. That way your stock hydraulic line will connect right up to the slave like stock. Search around for pics of this setup.
macenc wrote:...3. If I go with the auto tranny, which 4r70w is the most durable? I have heard that a 5.4l F150 and also a police car...
I think it was the 98 or 99 4R70ws that got the "upgraded" stuff. The 97 is also a good tranny and can be built up.
macenc wrote:...4. Which is the desiereable headers with the GT40P heads ? I am not sure yet which I have, but with my luck, it will be the most expensive headers required...
You aren't far off. The FMS Explorer headers used to be the cheaper option to work with the GT40p heads. Those are the ones I have. Although from what I've heard they are no longer available. If they are, get them. If they aren't, then your next-best option are the MAC GT40p headers or the Torque Monster headers. The MAC headers are really meant for a Mustang and thus will likely require notching the passenger side frame for clearance. The TM headers will fit perfectly but are EXPENSIVE. They are a nice set of headers though. I'd be running them if they worked in pre-95 Rangers. But at current, Bob doesn't make a set that do without ditching the AC. In 95, the engine bay got wider thus allowing more clearance between the AC box and the engine. If you can afford them, don't hesitate to get the TMs.
macenc wrote:...5. My truck doesn't have tilt, cruise or power windows. Is the wiring in the harness ? Can I add a tilt / cruise column with the Explorer stuff and it work ? Can I add Power switches and regulators and have power windows ?...
No clue. My guess is this will require a physical inspection on your part to determine this. I'm not even sure there's a good rule of thumb on whether the wiring is there or not.
macenc wrote:...6. Is the Sport Trac instrument cluster a PLUG and PLAY ?...
Again, no clue. Since I never had to deal with it, I'm just not sure. I've heard that as long as you are using a similar year Explorer engine and EEC that the issues with wiring are VERY minor. What exactly is required to change, I can't remember. This is where detailed wiring diagrams of both your Ranger and the Explorer would come in useful. Go through the mating connectors pin-by-pin and confirm that they are a match. If there is an issue, then you know where your "minor" wiring changes will occur. Check Helm Inc's website for EVTMs and wiring diagrams. I recommend having both documents for both vehicles. But if you had to have only 1, choose the wiring diagrams.
macenc wrote:...7. Has anyone added a power rear glass from a Sport Trac ?...
No clue.
macenc wrote:...8. Has anyone swapped a newer front clip ( 2004 - 2010 ) onto the 93 -97 ranger...
No clue. But that does remind me of something I thought about doing, and that's going down to Mexico and getting the shell of a newer Crew Cab Ranger and mounting it on the frame of an older Ranger frame. The title would say one thing, but the look would say something completely different...not to mention being Crew Cab, which we don't have here in the states but Mexico is lucky enough to have.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: T5 tail and clutch

Post by MalcolmV8 »

macenc wrote: 3. If I go with the auto tranny, which 4r70w is the most durable ? I have heard that a 5.4l F150 and also a police car.
I can tell you I ran a 4r70w out of a 2000 Explorer for 60000 very hard miles. My truck was full time AWD and I built it to have run and race my friends and generally run the snot out of it everywhere I went and that's exactly what I did. Tranny never missed a beat.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8