Been told 2011 is last year for Ranger

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

pkjorlie
SM: No

Been told 2011 is last year for Ranger

Post by pkjorlie »

My cousin is in sales at Middleton Ford (WI) and says that 2011 is the last year for the Ford Ranger. The end of an era.
The F150 3.7 V6 is supposed to replace it.

I priced out on line a basic 2011 Ford F150 XL Supercab 4x4 with V6 Auto and XL plus package. $31,110
Then priced a Ranger Supercab 4.0 XLT 4x4 with Payload Package and sliding rear window at $27,145. A $4000 difference for a nicer truck with aluminum wheels, carpet, and the exact same towing capacity.

We should start a facebook petition to save the Ford Ranger.
'88 Bronco II 4x4, 302, C4, Edelbrock 600, Mild Cam
'93 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 5sp 210k
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Been told 2011 is last year for Ranger

Post by cgrey8 »

The annoying part is that the Ranger is only being discontinued in the US and Canada. All other countries will still have the Ranger option...and have the option in a Crew Cab, which is an option both Malcolm and I would love to have. The annoying part is Crew Cab Rangers are not something new. While I was in Mexico last year, I saw a few Crew Cab Rangers...some new, some not much newer than my 89 Ranger.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

They do not sell them here because they know they would out sell the F-150 and that would mean Ford would lose it's streak of the best selling vehicle in the States and they are not willing for that to happen. If that ever happens I believe you would see Ford offer several more vehicles here, I think it's crazy cause there cutting there own throats in my opinion. I understand the streak thing but I would be more concerned with success than a streak. The streak may not keep you in business when selling a bunch of other vehicles would. I could go on but I believe you get the point.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Paul, the subject of petitions has been brought up on every Ranger site I know of. Think they announced closing of the Twin Cities plant in 2008 but Ford kept it open. No way would I be happy with one of them big trucks. I'd rather get that F-1 running. Still got that picture of one sitting on an early Bronco chassis.
Dave of the Nord
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cgrey8 wrote:The annoying part is that the Ranger is only being discontinued in the US and Canada. All other countries will still have the Ranger option...and have the option in a Crew Cab, which is an option both Malcolm and I would love to have.
Wanted to have. I wanted one really bad for years. In 2000 I went up to the Advanced Engineering plant in Detroit and met with Ranger engineers and spoke with them one on one about the Rangers in general and V8 Ranger options and discussed what we do on this site etc. They had crew cab Rangers right there that I could look at and sit in etc. I begged and pleaded for one and was really hoping they'd release them in the US at some point. They never did because of F150 sales as plowboy said. So finally I had to just sell my Rangers and get something else that would work for me.
plowboy34 wrote:They do not sell them here because they know they would out sell the F-150 and that would mean Ford would lose it's streak of the best selling vehicle in the States and they are not willing for that to happen.
That's a really stupid strategy of theirs because after years of trying to get a crew cab Ranger I finally just went and bought a Toyota. They offer what people want and they're rock solid. Tacoma or Tundra double cabs (crew cabs) depending on if you want a small sized pickup or a full sized. Fords awesome strategy lost them a customer and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
pkjorlie

Post by pkjorlie »

They think it's a smart strategy. Why wouldn't they discontinue the Ranger when they can sell a very stripped down F-150 for $4000 more? All it costs them is a little more steel.

I'll be looking to buy new in a year or so. It probably won't be an F150. I like the smaller trucks especially because of having to navigate around in Madison and parallel parking. If I can't find a Ranger, I'll probably look at Nissan Frontier. Costs about $500 less than a comparably equipped Ranger and has a towing capacity of 6500# (6300# in 4x4 models).

Not sure what y'all mean by a crew cab? They have a 4dr supercab available but I think it has a shorter box than the extended cab.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

4 door Supercabs are just regular Supercabs with suicide doors that open in the opposite direction.
These setups also require that you open the front door to open the back door since the back door's handle is located in the front door's door jamb. It isn't visible to the outside of the truck.

Crew cabs have 4 true doors. The back doors can open independent of the front doors just like a 4-door car. The extended area is also roomier than the 4-door Supercabs. Here's a pic of a CrewCab Ranger:

They just aren't available here. But Mexico has them all over. Rangers are 10x more popular than F150s down there.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Paul, I know you don't like the big ones but how about another one of these? How long ago did we buy that one I still have? Love to see if a Ranger frame would fit under it, wheel base is real close. Still finding most of the new parts for it. Some assembly required!
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
pkjorlie

Post by pkjorlie »

@cgrey8
Yes, that's what I would consider a "Crew Cab". And I thought sure I had seen that model option on Ford's Build and Price website. Thats why I was confused. I just looked again and I was wrong "They just aren't available here." My bad!

Nissan has that option on the Frontier.

@Mac, oops "Dave"
Yes I would like to see that '50 F1 on the road someday. Maybe when I'm retired and you're drooling all over your walker, I can come help you put it together. Might cost you a '66 Ranchero or something, but we can get it done.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Nissan and Toyota both offer Crew Cab options on their smaller trucks.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org