Sloppy T5 shifter, should I replace bushings?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

carvinmark
SM: No

Sloppy T5 shifter, should I replace bushings?

Post by carvinmark »

My shifter feels like a limp noodle and the 0ne Two shift is a crap shot under power. Going from 5th to 4th is not do-able unless I go 5th to 3rd and then 4th. Took some family members for rides Christmas day and was kind of embarassed that it would not shift right. Just worn out OE parts that were on it when I got the truck. I have a short throw shifter ordered and am thinking I should upgrade the shifter bushings to anything better than plastic. Any tips or advice about the bushings? Are the bushings directly under the shifter?Happy Holidays.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
Dave
Supporting Member

Re: Sloppy T5 shifter, should I replace bushings?

Post by Dave »

Mark, found a diagram and it sounds like it's a common problem. Cheap replacements are like $7 and the better bronze ones are $22, carried most Mustang/transmission shops. Should be item #21. Bottom of shifter fits in it.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Thanks Dave, right where I figured it was.
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
fordmike

Post by fordmike »

carvinmark wrote:My shifter feels like a limp noodle and the 0ne Two shift is a crap shot under power. Going from 5th to 4th is not do-able unless I go 5th to 3rd and then 4th. Took some family members for rides Christmas day and was kind of embarassed that it would not shift right. Just worn out OE parts that were on it when I got the truck. I have a short throw shifter ordered and am thinking I should upgrade the shifter bushings to anything better than plastic. Any tips or advice about the bushings? Are the bushings directly under the shifter?Happy Holidays.
If you still have the factory shifter and its very sloppy then the bushings in the shifter are probly very worn out and just replacing the shifter will make all the diffrence in the world and the stock plastic bushing it the shifting block under the shifter usally last for a very long time and its a good idea to replace while you are in there.
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

fordmike wrote:
carvinmark wrote:My shifter feels like a limp noodle and the 0ne Two shift is a crap shot under power. Going from 5th to 4th is not do-able unless I go 5th to 3rd and then 4th. Took some family members for rides Christmas day and was kind of embarassed that it would not shift right. Just worn out OE parts that were on it when I got the truck. I have a short throw shifter ordered and am thinking I should upgrade the shifter bushings to anything better than plastic. Any tips or advice about the bushings? Are the bushings directly under the shifter?Happy Holidays.
If you still have the factory shifter and its very sloppy then the bushings in the shifter are probly very worn out and just replacing the shifter will make all the diffrence in the world and the stock plastic bushing it the shifting block under the shifter usally last for a very long time and its a good idea to replace while you are in there.
Thanks fordmike, I will replace it, I'm thinking brass bushing but will go to Ford dealer today and see what they offer.