REAR ENGINE RANGER

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

gottabeaford

REAR ENGINE RANGER

Post by gottabeaford »

Has anyone ever thought about putting the engine in the bed of the truck and connecting the output on the trans to the diff? I think the bed is long enough the only question I have is how you would shift it the clutch wouldn't be to hard but the shifting between gears I'm not sure about. Do you think you would need power steering still or would the front be light enough. And how well would it handle would it plow when you try to turn.
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: REAR ENGINE RANGER

Post by cgrey8 »

Interesting idea. I don't know of anybody that has done that. But it is interesting.

My idea for an interesting project would be to get a 4wd Ranger and set it up with a V8, but use a 2wd manual tranny drivetrain. The front axle would be setup to be driven by a large electric motor. With a bed-full of batteries and a motor controller, you could have your very own Plug-in Hybrid Ranger with Front Wheel Drive on electric including regenerative braking. And when the batteries run dry, dump the clutch with the tranny in gear to start up the V8. The best part with be with both driving the vehicle in AWD mode. Could you imagine a ~150hp electric driving the front wheels and a mild V8 driving the rear? Without too much trouble, you could get 450hp worth of pull to all 4 tires.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

So when running on batteries you are sort of a "green" vehicle but when the batteries run down about 10 miles down the road carrying all that weight a 300 hp 15mpg V8 fires up and more than makes up for the electric part :) lol. Sorry just funny, I cracked up reading that. Definitely be a fun toy though, I love tinkering with stuff like that myself.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

i seen one rear engine ranger at don garlits show here at home in ocala fl. must say it was strange. engine and trans in bed, drive shaft went to transfer case at very end of frame, then second drive to rear end that was mounted backwards. never seen it run, but looked like it would stand on it's butt as soon as it was put in gear. way different.... the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

MalcolmV8 wrote:So when running on batteries you are sort of a "green" vehicle but when the batteries run down about 10 miles down the road carrying all that weight a 300 hp 15mpg V8 fires up and more than makes up for the electric part :) lol. Sorry just funny, I cracked up reading that. Definitely be a fun toy though, I love tinkering with stuff like that myself.
The hope is that through a combination of mild-but-efficient engine building and the regenerative braking from the electric motor, you'd get in-city fuel economy improvements even with the engine running...just like conventional hybrids that don't plug-in. That is unless you keep your foot in it all the time. On the open road, you wouldn't glean hardly any improvements...again, just like with regular hybrids. And you are also right, I doubt the batteries would last longer than about 10 miles. If Chevy is having a hard time eeking out 40MPG from a Chevy Volt, a light car designed for efficiency, I seriously doubt a truck with heavy conventional deep-cell batteries is going to be anywhere near that. It would be neat if it were to get 20-30 miles since that would cover a significant portion of my daily commute.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

Do it. I have seen mid mount blown big block in a older chevy van.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)