5.0 swap into a 94 ranger

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Michael Stubblefield

5.0 swap into a 94 ranger

Post by Michael Stubblefield »

I have a 94 ex. cab 4.0 automatic. The doner is an 89 van with a newer 5.0, it has a low- rise ported fuel injection system,the computer,and all the sensors,and the last owner beleaves it came out of a mustang. I was told the newer model rangers were narrower than the older ones, is this true? To put this 5.0 in my truck can I use the motor mounts and exhaust manifolds out of the van or because the truck is narrower will I have to get new mounts and headers and if so who has the best price. I plan on using the a4od transmission so what adapter plate should I use? I know I need to notch the air box if I want keep the AC. I know I need to get the different accessory brackets. By doing all this will this get the motor in? Thanks for all the help. M Stubblefield
Last edited by Michael Stubblefield on Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MercuRanger
SM: No

Post by MercuRanger »

Unfortunately, you were told wrong. There's a lot more to it than just adding an electric fan, unfortunately. You'll need a new transmission, exhaust, wiring, and about a thousand other little things that add up. Not trying to talk you out of it, just making you aware of the full scope of the project.

You can check my site for info on swapping into an '83 - a majority of the info applies to just about any Ranger 5.0 swap, regardless of year. And you can always ask questions here.

Also, I believe the EFI van engines had the same double throttle body from the trucks, which as far as I know, nobody's got to fit under a ranger hood. You'd probably have to swap to a mustang or aftermarket intake.

BTW, I bought my mounts off of a Rick Stubblefield who aborted a 5.0 swap project. Any relation?

Mike
'83 Ranger Reg Cab 5.0 4x4 (Neverending project)
'99 Grand Am (Daily transportation)
'95 Lumina Van (Wife's car)
'51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe (future project)
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

You also need to keep in mind what your intentions are for this swap. For instance a number of us on the forum must maintain emission compliance which means we have to be concerned about carbon box vacuum lines, smog pumps, and EGR valves. For others, emissions are hardly of any concern.

I bring that up because you are swapping an 89 engine into a 94 truck. If emission compliance is something your area requires, that's not likely to fly. One of the 1st engine mod requirements to meet emissions in most areas is the replacement engine must be as new or newer than the vehicle.

In the meantime, read over these two threads and see if they help you understand what is involved in a Ranger swap. Most of the issues detailed are just the big issues. There will be plenty smaller ones you'll bump into as you get to them.

viewtopic.php?t=107
viewtopic.php?t=181
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org