Napa replacement for the exter slave cyclinder I blew it up.

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

With this slave, you'll either need to go back to an old line that has the ford fittings on it or you'll need those -AN4 to Ford converters.

I'd love to use these, but I can't find anybody that has any...however if you want the plans to make them yourself, here are drawings care of Dave (from Wisconsin).

With that drawing, a machine shop should be able to make them, but for what cost I have no clue.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Has anyone tried contacting MidnightRanger (sp might be a little off) ? He used to be on this board a long time ago but more recently I think I've seen him on rps. He used to make those adapters and sell them.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Last time I tried to email him at the address on RPS, it wouldn't give me a window to email him from. I couldn't find where the actual address was so I could send an email manually. The RPS site just as an "email" link. When you click it for his profile, it just says the email feature has been disabled by the administrator.

Here is MdntRanger50's RPS profile:
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/ ... php?u=1450

If someone else is selling them or is going to have some made, I'd gladly chip in if the price is right.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

Thats what I did, however Chis is talking about useing the line off the f-150.I used the connector off a 92 internial slave it has a cold rolled pin holding in. just knock it out and and install it to the 86 slave cylinder.It comes with a new o-ring. Then alls I had to do was push the quick connect together and bleed the slave and away I went..I am now in the prosess of making another bracket to add to the one I have..It's like a bracket I seen on the add that one or the other guys posted.It will go from the bracket that holds the slave on to the hole about 10" back.It will stop the plate from flexing.
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I'm certainly game to try using the Ranger line before using the F-150 line now that I know the quick-connect adapter has the same fitting on the end of it. After all, the factory Ranger line is already contoured to run over the frame rail and run right up to the tranny.

However Elect666, do you find that there's a lot of flex in the flat plate? Is that what the threaded line that runs parallel to the slave is helping prevent? I know you've tried to explan that thing to me before, but to be honest I'm still just not visualizing what's going on.

The angle iron brackets would certainly be more resistant to flex, however I'm wondering if some pieces can be T-welded to the flat plate running from slave-to-bell housing bolts to help prevent flex or just use thicker and/or tougher metal for the plate.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

I thought of using thicker plate but I'm already using 3/16 to 1/4(dont hold me to it) and I'm thinking that the best way to go is to build another bracket that goes from the existing plate to the a mounting hole about 10" back I think the mounting hole I'm talking about was for a spring to pull the fork back but I'm not sure. Now its gonna be for my new bracket.
And yes to answer your question the plate does flex about a 1/4" and I'm thinking my new bracket will fix it..The flexing doesnt appear to be a problem but I dont like it.
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I've seen other slave kits that used the bolts on the tranny as part of the slave adapter mounting. It's always just so convenient to use the bell since it's right there and it doesn't involve having to make a bracket while the tranny and bell are bolted together. However, if a BETTER bracket arrangement can be made utilizing those unused bolt holes in the side of the tranny, it's worth exploring what the options are. After all, what you've done (and what I was planning on) is quick and simple, but may not be the best from a flex/strength aspect. I just assumed that with a thick enough plate and strong enough bolts, flex wouldn't be a problem.

Speaking of flex, I've heard a number of people mention that the factory clutch fork bends enough that a stronger aftermarket fork is a noticeable upgrade/improvement to the pedal feel. I've never talked to someone that's used an "aftermarket" clutch fork that claims to be stronger than OEM to know if that claim is justified. Can anybody else chime in on the positive benefit of upgrading from the OEM Mustang clutch fork? The OEM fork I have now looks quite sturdy...it just rusts easily. I cleaned it up when I 1st received it from the eBay seller, and here a few months later, it's rusting up again.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Here's the bracket Elect666 was referring to that bolts to the tranny.

That's a nice looking setup. How much does it cost complete with bracket, slave, and all?
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Blk87

Post by Blk87 »

Ok what I'm going to due is try to get the one I have rebuilt. I found out that it's not to a 280z the one for the Z is different. The one from total performance is made by Gurling.
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

T-5 Lower Hydraulic Clutch Kit.............................$259.95*
It is a nice setup if you want to spend that lind of money.
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Yeah, lets pass on that one. I'll deal with the minor issues the 83-84 Ranger slave causes since I already have it AND for the most part, it works.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

I agree...What I have works just fine.... :lol: Thanks to Chris
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

I finaly got to Drive it on a real test run. and the slave cylinder did great. It's a nice smooth shift and not to close to the floor. I had to make a larger dent for my bracket. But driving it is great.
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Elect666 wrote:I finaly got to Drive it on a real test run. and the slave cylinder did great. It's a nice smooth shift and not to close to the floor. I had to make a larger dent for my bracket. But driving it is great.
Do you have any pics of your setup? How about a complete parts list? This might be a nice little page to put up on the site at some point.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8