Automotive Lifts Advice

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

87sc302
SM: No

Automotive Lifts Advice

Post by 87sc302 »

I have been looking at lifts for several years and I always talk myself out of getting one because of the ceiling restrictions. So the other day I found a scissors mid lift for sale used and it got me to thinking again. I know a two or 4 posts lifts are nice but I cannot use one without building a new garage so just need input on mid/low rise type lifts. One time I was looking at the Kwiklift ramps but just could not bring myself to buy one. Does anyone have a scissor type or experience, or recommendations?
Thanks
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
v8ranger

Re: Automotive Lifts Advice

Post by v8ranger »

I dont have a lift, but my opnion on the scissor jacks are, you cant do any work under the vehicle, only if the work you need to do is up front or in the back. They block everything in the middle. So I guess if that's not a big deal, then get one. But if the only work you can do is in the front or back of that kind of lift, I can do that with a jack and some stands allot cheaper... Its not going to get the vehicle any higher than my jack....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
87sc302

Re: Automotive Lifts Advice

Post by 87sc302 »

True some of the sicissor lifts are very restrictive but some of the newer have extension arms like typical lifts and the mid lifts lift to around 4'. Not the best, but most of my time is wheels, tires ,brake s, oil changes, etc. Will not reolace the ramps / jack stands but would be alot easier on the old back.

87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5