Hobbies?

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Soul
SM: No

Hobbies?

Post by Soul »

Hello,

I've been up for 36 hours now, after the spinal tap and no work for a week my sleep schedule is f'd up and I was bored so :)

What hobbies you guys into? I notice alot of you guys hunt, I'm more of a lets go outside skeet shoot and go in, and if I want dead animal I go to the store :D.

Thinking of picking up disc golf, guys I work with play it alot, other then that I pretty well turn wrenches or read (no tv).
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Hobbies?

Post by cgrey8 »

Other than mechanicin' and EEC tuning, the only other fairly major hobby I have is mountain biking. I inherited a fairly nice bike (Trek 4300 with disc brakes) from a family member that didn't use it anymore. I just rode it around, all light-weight cross country (XC) stuff for a while. But once I lost about 25lbs from radiation treatment, I decided I wanted to do everything I could to keep it off. So I started riding it more and more. In the past year, I lost another 15, gotten faster, and am doing a lot more advanced XC trails. When I 1st got the thing, I had no clue how "advanced" bikes were. Why would anybody pay $500+ for a bike when Walmart sells them for less than $200? After all, it's just 2 wheels, some brakes, and a chain right? No. There is a difference. Frame strength & weight, quality of components, and geometric design are all things that go into the more expensive bikes.

A buddy of mine at the office still thinks like I did and insists on using Walmart bikes at a formidable mountain bike trail. He's been out there 2 times. And both times, he's broken something. 1st time, he blew the bearings out of the back wheel on a steep climb. He said, no big deal. Fix it with another $88 Walmart special. So he takes his brand new $88 bike out there last weekend and this time he broke the chain. Those bikes are just not designed for rough trails. But I have to be honest, I didn't think they were THAT frail. The guy is only about 135-140lbs. He's going to take the new bike back, and see if Walmart will warranty swap it for another. We'll see how it holds up tomorrow morning.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

the old trucker is into model trains. all computer controled and got a 12x40 ft building just full of train set. its big...the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I build car models. But only after deer season is over... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

There seem to be a connection between V8 Rangers and back problems.
I had back surgery 5 years ago, no fun but I am much better. I had been jogger for 25 years but the neurosurgeon told me to quit . I had been looking for something to do so last year took up bicycling for exercise. I bought an old Hybrid TREK and put about 1700 miles on it last year.

I also enjoy my 38 year old BMW motorcycle. It is great to go riding in the mountians of east tennessee.

But my favorite hobby is just playing with the Ranger.
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Maybe that's it, or just being a mechanic in genrel, lol..... I have had 2 back surgeries. I had surgery again on Sep 29th. Just had a pain pump put in. I still wouldn't give up my Ranger......
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

Back surgery here too....about 4 years ago. I had spinal stenosis....thats your spinal chord being crushed. I have permanent nerve damage so nothing they can do to really help me....life goes on.

Hobbies are anything motorsports.....if it has a throttle and steering capability I am interested. Brakes are optional. I too use to do car models but fingers got to big to hold all those little pieces. Got more glue on me than the pieces.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
Soul

Post by Soul »

Guessing most of you guys are taller then 5 foot, so like me bending over a fender just absolutely murder. My dad bought a fender "creeper" basically its a board on a stand that sits about 3-4ft off the ground and is adjustable, you set it at fender height and lay on your belly over the fender. For those wondering it sux and is always in the way
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

My hobby list is extensive. I like to do all sorts of things. Used to race moto x for years till a massive wreck almost ended it for me. Now I just recreational ride dirt bikes. I play with go carts, four wheelers etc.
I'm training for my private pilots license so I can start flying on my own. Really enjoy flying with friends.
I also fly r/c planes and have for many years. I have more r/c nitro gas powered monster trucks than I really need lol. Humm even have a couple of r/c helicopters too.

I'm into computers, servers, linux, mac all that junk. I enjoy fish tanks and have plenty of those too.

I ride mountain bikes here and there like a few of you too. I also like snow skiing and water skiing, I like camping with the buddies once in a while. Heck I was just at Hermann MO this weekend for October fest.
Oh yeah and who can forget crotch rockets? I have an R6 and it's an absolute blast.

Of course there's the Cobra which bleeds me dry and my old v8 rangers. I miss the AWD Ranger a lot. That truck was so much fun to daily drive especially in dry weather. Zero wheel spin ever. Just floor it and point the steering wheel. I just have to many toys and no place to store it so it had to go.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton but yeah hobbies are awesome. I try to do as many as possible :)
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

You reminded me of another hobby of mine...rappelling. I haven't gone in so long, I about forgot about it. But weather's getting right for it. So I'm sure there'll be a rappelling trip coming up soon.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I think I will have a hobbie that will keep be busy for a while this winter. I'm thinking of just pulling the motor out of my Ranger this winter. I need to change some leaking gaskets anyway and it would just make it easier to do the pan with the engine out. That will give me a chance to clean up the engine bay and make it look more presentable. Seem like some one is always calling me to fix there car, so I guess thats a so called hobbie, lol.... But of course, this all has to wait till hunting season is over, or I fill all my tags.... I still have to kind of take it easy for another week or so from my surgery. I will be in my tree stand on the 16th, now if I get a deer, I might have to call some friends to come drag it for me, lol.... They wont mind, they know I will give them some meat for the help. But most of the people are waiting for jurky, they didnt get any last year, neither did I :-( No deer, no jerky......
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

Hey Malcolm...the wife says....THANKS ALOT....LOL I too have always wanted my pilots license but have put that on the back burner lately. Now it is alive and well again. The wife asked where this came from and I blamed it all on you...lol. She says no more V8-Ranger. She knows it is a hopeless cause but she does try. I have always thought it would be cool to be the one actually flying the plane.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Plowboy, lol anything to help :) I've flown R/C airplanes for ahh close to 10 years and one day I took a real flight with a buddy of mine in a little 4 seater piper. I was hooked. It's fantastic. He's being a pilot for 16 years and has so much fun flying all over the country for fun. A few weeks ago we flew down to Dallas for the weekend for Top Fuel cars and just fly right back. So much fun.
So now my buddy is taking his girlfriend's son through the private pilots course and I decided to start with him and go through the training etc.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Soul

Post by Soul »

^ I don't like heights
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Working 40-50 hours a week and the 1 1/2 hour dirve to work, didn't have much time left except for the week-ends. Then it was house and yard work, projects on hold, that's the fun part. Lots of critters here that i enjoy taking pictuers of and feeding. Just country living.
Heights, I don't like either but even being in a small two seat plane has never bothered me. It's looking out of tall buildings or bridges or dams that really get to me.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting