Roller Rockers vs Explorer Valve Cover

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Dave
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Roller Rockers vs Explorer Valve Cover

Post by Dave »

Grumpy wrote:another thing to consider with the taller covers is this ..... you cant go to high or they will hit the upper intake plenum on both sides and possibly the TB and hang the throttle open some .... so you will also need a phenolic spacer between the upper and lower intakes to give more clearance for the taller covers which will require longer upper to lower mounting bolts ..... at least 1/2 inch ...... its a give and take situation when swapping to roller rockers .... if you know someone in a GOOD reputable machine shop...... they can take one of the spacers and mill it down to what ever height you need ..... if they are 1 inch .. then you can get two 1/4 inch ones out of it like you need ........ just a thought
I know Chis doesn't have this problem but those use the Explorer coil packs with have more problems with using the phenolic spacers, been there, done that. First problem is that the EGR tube is now too short. Second and third is that the coil pack mounting bracket mounts on both the upper and lower intake. You have to raise the one mounting arm to what ever the thickness of the spacer you use. Same goes for the throttle bracket, it mounts on both the upper and lower intake. Sucks, I know. It's one of them problems you try and solve and just dig the hole deeper.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
enigma88

Post by enigma88 »

I had no real problems with Roller Rockers. I used comp cam rockers with the adjustable needle cups. However I am using the stock mustang valve covers (aluminum) in which I had to just grind away the oil baffle. Put them on and no interferance at all. Just my two cents and probably only worth half a cent.
Enigma88

1988 Ford Ranger Carburated 2.0L
+ 1988 Ford Econoline SB 5.0L (Donor Block)
+ 1989 Mustang Harness and Computer
+ AOD Trannsmission
+ Ford Racing E303 Cam, PushRods, Lifters
+ Lots of other Parts
------------------------------------------------------
= Goin' sideways
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Those VCs are taller than the stock Explorer covers. The Explorer covers are the lowest profile covers I've ever seen for a Windsor. It is no surprise to me that they have interference. I'm just debating in my head the best option to take to minimize chances of engine disaster, fitment issues, and leakage issues.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Chris, might just try a set of stock Mustang valve covers and see if that solves all your problems.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It'll likely fix the RR fitment issue, but not the AC box interference issue. If the valve cover "slots" doesn't work, I may look into that.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I'm sure you could adjust the a/c box to work with the stock Mustang valve covers. If you want I have a brand new set of 95 Mustang GT valve covers sitting here. email me an address and they're yours.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

email sent.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

I just added 1.7:1 roller rocker in my Truck. They clear the stock aluminum Mustang valve covers with no issues at all, even with no gasket. I removed the baffle from the passenger side, but made no other changes.

The oil fill tub comes out, or could easily be modded to use the rubber/bent Explorer piece.

Baffle installed:

Baffle removed: (three screws)

The Crane/Ford rockers, for comparison to yours. (They're the '93 Cobra pedestal versions)
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Just looking at the shape of those rockers, it is quite obvious they would fit the Explorer valve covers on the ends. There may still be clearance with the top that would require a thicker gasket. It is also encouraging to see rockers with the V-shape around the pushrod cup further confirming that all the width my rockers have isn't really needed.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I got the thick valve cover gaskets in yesterday and put them on with the modified Valve Cover. They fix the top-side clearance issues perfectly at least for the 2 rockers that are installed and on the valve cover I tested. I'll need to swap out the remainder of the stock rockers on this head with the RRs and see how everything fits with both valve covers. If everything works, then I at least know the thicker valve cover is an option along with clearancing the valve cover at the ends, which would require welding.

Malcolm is also sending me some stock Mustang covers that he thinks might also help me out. I don't know if I'll use them, but it will be nice to have another set to compare to just to see how a different set sit. If I don't use them, I'll pass them onto whomever else might need them.

If anybody wants to see pics of these thicker gaskets, let me know and I'll snap some shots tonight and get them posted.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

Sure, post the pics!

Note to others, I was not successful with removing the baffle. It's now blowing/sucking too much oil into the throttle body. I never did try the cover with the baffle attached. I'll pull it apart, and try that stock baffle. I it won't fit, I'll make one that will.
modifying these things is so much fun!

BTW, mine was a stock 5.0. With just GT40 heads and intake, 65mm throttle body, 1.7 roller rockers, it feels like a whole new beast. Or it will once it keeps all the oil inside!
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Teddyzee wrote: Note to others, I was not successful with removing the baffle. It's now blowing/sucking too much oil into the throttle body. I never did try the cover with the baffle attached. I'll pull it apart, and try that stock baffle. If it won't fit, I'll make one that will.
modifying these things is so much fun!

BTW, mine was a stock 5.0. With just GT40 heads and intake, 65mm throttle body, 1.7 roller rockers, it feels like a whole new beast. Or it will once it keeps all the oil inside!
Ya, cutting the baffles out of the valve covers is not a good outcome. I did the same thing. I was driving my truck one day and it was blowing blue smoke out the tail pipes. I though I broke a ring. After further inspection, the pcv valve was sucking oil right into the carb. Bought new valve covers and my problem went away. I just have a set of chrome covers on mine and my RR dont hit. Mine is a 1990 mustang motor.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

the oil baffle is there for a reason ............. it keeps the engine from sucking the oil that pools up in the back or front head bolts.. there for it NEEDS it.... if you can make a low profile one then it should work.
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Malcolm is also sending me some stock Mustang covers that he thinks might also help me out. I don't know if I'll use them, but it will be nice to have another set to compare to just to see how a different set sit. If I don't use them, I'll pass them onto whomever else might need them.

btw .....cgrey8 .. if those covers DONT work and you let them go for the cheap price that Malcolm let you have them for ............ ill take them ..as i take it they were free.. and ill even pay shipping!!!! as i might have plans for them.... polish them to a high luster and clear coat them and put them on my 5.0 as soon as i can get ......DAVE...... to ship me those World Products S?R Heads so i can get them put on ..i CANT wait to get my hands on them .....LMMFAO..... btw do you have the head bolts or the head studs to go with them ????? lol

Let me know please
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't think removing/modifying the little piece of a baffle from my covers is an issue. The baffle is right under the filler hole in the passenger side valve cover. It looks like its purpose is to guide fresh oil right to the edge of the head so it goes directly to the pan, presumably so the oil can get filtered before it gets on mechanical equipment. Or maybe it's there to catch those plastic rings that sometimes fall off oil bottles, so if a plastic ring falls off, the ring doesn't land on a rocker and cause problems.

The engine does draw air in from the oil filler neck which passes by that baffle, but air doesn't get pulled up the oil filler neck. My PCV is in the lower intake. There is a baffle that extends 1/2 way down the length of the lower intake on the bottom. I've heard Ford fills that baffle with some kind of sponge that winds up just clumping oil up and making the PCV suck oil into the intake worse than without it. The engine I'm working on had nothing in there. It was just a big huge void between the baffle and the cast surface. So either that sponge stuff was all dry-rotted away or someone removed it at some point in the engine's life.

And yes, if I don't use those VCs then they are yours. Malcolm, if you haven't sent them yet, send them on over to him instead. While I might use them. He sounds like he would use them for sure. And I'd hate to get them, not use them, and deny someone else that could use them the ability to do so.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org