v-8 swap cheap??

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: v-8 swap cheap??

Post by cgrey8 »

You want to keep 4wd on a 5.0 Swap? Then that means you are going with an automatic of some type. For that, I'd recommend going with an Explorer AWD transfer case like Malcolm did on the Blue Ranger. With that, you can run the AWD Explorer 4R70w although that does require a transmission controller.

There are a few options here:
  • Use a 94-95 Mustang 5.0L automatic EEC. With a few solenoid changes, you can get one of these EECs to control a 4R70w. Note though, not all 94-95 Mustang EECs will work. The EECs that came with manual GTs don't have the electronics to control an automatic. So need to make sure you get an EEC that was meant for an automatic. The catch with the 94-94 Mustang EECs is they are much more temperamental to engine mods than the 89-93 Mustang GT EECs were. However if all you are controlling is a stock 5.0L with all stock components (i.e. 94-95 Mustang MAF, Black (not Gray) TFI module, etc) that shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Use a TCM (Transmission Control Module) from a Diesel. The CAW0 is nothing but an EEC-IV, but is only designed to control an E4OD electronic transmission. With a tuner and the right software, I believe you can retask the code in the CAW0 to control an AODE or 4R70w. I don't know why you couldn't.
  • Use an aftermarket trans controller made by Baumann which is what Malcolm did. These aren't cheap, but they do work.
The other catch to be aware of on the 4R70w trannys is some don't have a speed cable provision. So you'll need to be careful about which you get. What I don't know is if the tailshaft cover from a 4R70w will fit on an AOD so you could run a mechanical transmission instead.

If you don't go the route of the Explorer AWD, then pull the trans and Xfer case from an F-150. For a stock 5.0L, any of these options should work.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

cgrey8 wrote:You want to keep 4wd on a 5.0 Swap? Then that means you are going with an automatic of some type. For that, I'd recommend going with an Explorer AWD transfer case like Malcolm did on the Blue Ranger. With that, you can run the AWD Explorer 4R70w although that does require a transmission controller.

There are a few options here:
  • Use a 94-95 Mustang 5.0L automatic EEC. With a few solenoid changes, you can get one of these EECs to control a 4R70w. Note though, not all 94-95 Mustang EECs will work. The EECs that came with manual GTs don't have the electronics to control an automatic. So need to make sure you get an EEC that was meant for an automatic. The catch with the 94-94 Mustang EECs is they are much more temperamental to engine mods than the 89-93 Mustang GT EECs were. However if all you are controlling is a stock 5.0L with all stock components (i.e. 94-95 Mustang MAF, Black (not Gray) TFI module, etc) that shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Use a TCM (Transmission Control Module) from a Diesel. The CAW0 is nothing but an EEC-IV, but is only designed to control an E4OD electronic transmission. With a tuner and the right software, I believe you can retask the code in the CAW0 to control an AODE or 4R70w. I don't know why you couldn't.
  • Use an aftermarket trans controller made by Baumann which is what Malcolm did. These aren't cheap, but they do work.
The other catch to be aware of on the 4R70w trannys is some don't have a speed cable provision. So you'll need to be careful about which you get. What I don't know is if the tailshaft cover from a 4R70w will fit on an AOD so you could run a mechanical transmission instead.

If you don't go the route of the Explorer AWD, then pull the trans and Xfer case from an F-150. For a stock 5.0L, any of these options should work.
That's sorta taking the long way... The Explorer wiring and ECU will control the 4R70W just fine... The '99-'01 Explorer used the sensor in the rearend for the speedometer, '96-'98 had a traditional VSS in the trans or transfercase, as seen in the table here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... anger.html
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If you have a new enough Ranger that you can make the EEC-V Explorer EEC work, then go for it. But there are lots of things that will either need to be upgraded or deal with. For one is even if you do get the VSS signal from the rearend to the EEC, that doesn't help with running the speedometer in the dash. The newer Explorer dashes were electronic and didn't use a cable. So fitting up an old generation Ranger with electronic dash might not be a pleasing thought either. Its all tradeoffs making old generation and new generation stuff work well together.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cgrey8 wrote:The other catch to be aware of on the 4R70w trannys is some don't have a speed cable provision. So you'll need to be careful about which you get. What I don't know is if the tailshaft cover from a 4R70w will fit on an AOD so you could run a mechanical transmission instead.
The speed sensor provision was in the AWD transfer case. I had a 2000 case with no provision and found a 98 case with provision and just opened them up and swapped casings. There is also a difference in the front yolks on the AWD tcases. They accept different kinds of drive shafts. I forget the details but I remember swapping parts around there too.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

I really do not like the awd. Have an 00 expy and just can't get used to it. If it has to be it has to be. :?

Now what does that leave me with? What year swap am I looking for? Have no problem going with stock 5.0 with shorty headers and straight dual exhaust.
Had a 3.0 with stock 5 speed offerred to me for $200. But I'm sure would need to rebuild the motor(ticks) so really no savings and really want some giddeup.

Trying to do as much research as I can but everyone seems to either use a shop directly or just leaves too much info out.

Thanks need all the help I can get.

Jeff
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Remember, even if the Xfer case is AWD, you can always turn the front hubs off so it isn't active.

But if you really don't like AWD, then pull the trans/Xfer from an F150 that is true 4wd.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

cgrey8 wrote:Remember, even if the Xfer case is AWD, you can always turn the front hubs off so it isn't active.

But if you really don't like AWD, then pull the trans/Xfer from an F150 that is true 4wd.

True(never thought of expy being auto hubs). I wouldn't think that it would hurt mileage too bad either. Okay what years explorer am I looking for on craigslist? Going to do all myself so hang on :mrgreen: .

Jeff
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Malcolm's the expert here. So I'll yield to him (and others in the know) on that one...
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Wouldn't I save a ton of $$$$s going with just a carbed 302 with a c-4 behind it? What transfer to use with this?
Really only need heat and no a/c and should be able to tune a carb yet(been a few decades LOL). I know full of questions sorry.

Jeff
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

As much as I like EFI, I have to admit that carbs are just simpler and cheaper. But you do ditch-n-replace a lot of hardware to get the carb to work on an EFI engine like the intake, fuel pump, fuel injectors, and distributor.

Although I wouldn't go with a C4 if you plan to drive the truck any amount. An AOD will get you much better fuel economy thanks to the OD. What I don't know is what year/model vehicles had an AOD with a Xfer case.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Ya the aod seems like the right way to go for the power level and streetability. I guess I'll start pricing some exploder 5.0's until someone chimes in with the right year/years workable.

Need a rollover....

Jeff
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

The real advantage of the Explorer is the short front dress, good intake system and usually low miles on them. Lots, including Chris and Malcolm and several other at this site used the Explorer motor but converted back to the '93' type ignition system. Last I look on E-Bay there were about 50 motor to pick from. If you plan on going with the Mustang ignition system, just get the one in the best condition (all the front brackets if possible) and low miles. Good luck and have fun!
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Dave wrote:The real advantage of the Explorer is the short front dress, good intake system and usually low miles on them. Lots, including Chris and Malcolm and several other at this site used the Explorer motor but converted back to the '93' type ignition system. Last I look on E-Bay there were about 50 motor to pick from. If you plan on going with the Mustang ignition system, just get the one in the best condition (all the front brackets if possible) and low miles. Good luck and have fun!
Dave
Now when you say short front dress you mean the pulleys and accessories up front correct? The ignition system is coils instead of cops? I realize picking up a motor is simple but I thought I needed a donor explorer to get all the parts? The cams and intake runners in a stang motor would be better suited for mid to later rpm wouldn't they? My understanding is that trucks came with better runners and cams for lower rpm use. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Jeff
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Also where do you guys buy a lighter 3-4 inch cowl hood for these trucks? Seems hard to find for a 92.
Want to save weight and love cowls.

Jeff
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

About the only cowl hood I found for the '92' was this one with a 2" rise -http://steelhoods.com/Shop_On-Line.htm
The "front dress" does mean the front pulleys and brackets. The intake on the Explorer is actually better than that on the standard Mustang, it's based on the Cobra design, not the truck. Lots of Mustangers swap the intake and heads from the Explorer. The cam and computer tune in the Explorer are the weak spots but easy to fix. The Explorer uses coil packs, not the COP and a cam position sensor instead of a distributor.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting