v-8 swap cheap??

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

6jeff6

Re: v-8 swap cheap??

Post by 6jeff6 »

I'm definitely leaning towards doing a nice swap with a carbed 5.0, c-4 but nothing too wild for now. What years would be best for this?? I haven't done a wiring swap in forever so hints and tidbits would be nice. Does anyone sell a complete swap kit(headers, tranny braces, radiator and whatever else I need)?
Then I could just save up for the kit instead of nickle and dimeing to death. Of course you guys/gals have experience and I'm definitely open minded with this. :D

Jeff
v8ranger
SM: No

Post by v8ranger »

I still have the stock v6 motor mounts in mine. I just had to make the flat plates to bolt to the engine and set it down over the studs on the mounts. I know some of them " V8 swap " kits are very exspensive.... I dont know what people have used for a trans cross member. I got one from someone that was taking apart a v8 ranger and he didnt know what it was out of, same thing with my rad at the time. I ended up having a rad made when I put my supercharger in. My Ranger is a carb set up.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

You really don't need to spend the money on one of "them" kits. Lots just use the $35-50 Mustang mounts. 4.0L radiator and such. Lots of good advice here from people who have done it by mixing and saving money.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I used the L&L mounts and yeah they were expensive. But they were a bolt-in solution. No pulling and dropping the engine measuring over and over till I got the plates drilled right. However if I had it to do again on another swap, I probably would try to save a little money, relocate the rubber mounts further down the crossmember, and use flat plates to mount the engine. I would NOT try to mount the engine with the rubber mounts in the stock location which locates the engine a bit high in the engine bay for my taste.

And I too used the stock Ranger radiator, although I ditched my factory 1-core for a 2-core.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I did my blue truck with the stock mounts in the stock location and instead of using flat steel stock I welded up an "S" or "Z" shape if that makes sense. Letting the motor sit lower. The metal stock came off the block, went up and over onto the motor mount.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

MalcolmV8 wrote:I did my blue truck with the stock mounts in the stock location and instead of using flat steel stock I welded up an "S" or "Z" shape if that makes sense. Letting the motor sit lower. The metal stock came off the block, went up and over onto the motor mount.
Now thats a hell of an idea..... I dont have any hood clearance problems so I didnt have to figure any thing like that out.... Great idea Malcolm!!!!
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Any pics of this???
Going to try for a 3-5 inch cowl hood so clearance shouldn't be an issue. Also going to add more lift to it but I need to check what it has now. LOL(I believe 3 inch body)
Kids have games almost every night!!! girls softball(4 teams she's on), 10 yearold boy playing majors(up of course) 2 -3 days a week and a 6 year old minor that plays in the grass :mrgreen: . So I'll get over there eventually but undecided if I want to leave 60 miles away in a covered shed or park here in the open? What you think? Have a 7 month old at home but could tinker with it if it's here and with your guys knowledge I'd be a pro!! :D

Jeff
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I probably have pics somewhere (even posted here on the forum in 2005 when I did that swap I'm sure) but can't find them now. It's real simple though. Three pieces of metal stock. One off the block, one off the motor mount, and a third vertical piece to join the two.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Malcolm, Look anything like this? This is what the motor mount looks like on one side for the later Ranger/Explorer swaps.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yes that's the exact concept what I did except mine had more of a drop to them. Works great.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Going to look at a 89 ford van for a 100 bucks. Hopefully 302 with a c-4. Runs and drives so would be a start :D

Jeff
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Hey Jeff, How's it going up there? Figure out what Ranger you are doing the swap into? Good buddy of mine did the C-4 w/carb swap into his BII 4x4. He goes up to Phillips a lot for fishing. Must be a lot of flat-landers from Ill Annoys up there, enough to chase at least one Cougar down this way. It's been getting some livestock down by Baraboo. DNR says you can't shoot them. My ass, they would have to find the carcass first. Anyway, let us know what direction you are going, all will to help, well, not if I have to get dirty.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

1993 4x4 with blown 2.8l and 5 speed is the swap truck.
Sticker said 5.0 and it ran and drove like a champ :D . Going to pick it up next week and inspect it closer.

jeff
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Ya stupid cougars. DNR tried to say the cougars didn't exist for years(and they didn't replant the wolves either :roll: or the rattlers that were going to control the turkeys; luckily too much press and they bailed on that one) need I go on :x .

Best story I have is a guy who had a wolf taking chickens at night and the dnr gave him permission to shoot the coyote. He told them over and over it was a wolf and they laughed. Next day the guy showed up with the wolf in the back of his truck :lol: .

jeff
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Well finally got the truck picked up. Some surface rust but absolutely no dents so really good shape. This next weekend I'll pull the 2.8 and tranny. The clutch doesn't work so I'm assuming it blew up with the motor.

Still really don't know what swap to do. My daughter(14) really likes the truck and is begging for it when she gets her license. That would lean me toward a fuel injected 5.0. Definitely want to keep 4wd.

Somebody smack me so I can go a route LOL :mrgreen:

Will snap some pics when I head up to pull the motor/trans.

Jeff