old skool 302 or modern 5.0

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

redline
SM: No

old skool 302 or modern 5.0

Post by redline »

OK guys, Im gotten to the point that ill have to make a decision, perhaps your input would set me straight, I've located a 78 302 thats fresh and ready to go " maybe 325HP " I wont have a dollar in that engine, or stick with with the tried and true 5.0 which I have a short block but that is a dedicated engine to a different project, I have a D&D billet steel flywheel and a complete clutch set to boot, but as having already diccussed the incompatibilty of the older 302s with what equipment I have Im not sure as to which way to go at this point, they say that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, Im not gonna embarass myself with substandard equipment, as I recall from the 70s the 302s was strong runners, but it didnt take alot to empress this kid back then, persuade me, Shawn. 8)
Measure it with a yardstick, mark it with caulk, cut it with a torch, back yard engineering...
94 std cab short box UNDER CONSTRUCTION more to follow
Dave
Supporting Member

Re: old skool 302 or modern 5.0

Post by Dave »

My gut says go with the 302. Only real difference between that and a 5.0 would be the roller cam and balance issue. think I just saw a FRPP flywheel for under $100 at Summit. Not sure what it would cost to have the existing flywheel rebalanced. Realy don't matter where the 325 hp comes from, if it's almost free, that's where I'd jump.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I would have to agree with Dave. Thats the only thing that I can think of, or know, is, the flywheel on the older stuff I think is 28 once where the newer is 50. And like dave said, the newer stuff has roller lifters. I kind of have both, 1990 roller 5.0, converted from EFI to carb.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
redline

Post by redline »

What do you think of the roller cam conversions, is it a safe conversion or does it weaken the block when you drill and tap to install the web in the lifter valley, have never heard of any issues there but Im cautious when redefining the structural integrety of such a piece, not that I would immediatly do the conversion but more less curious at this point.
I know the older block is about 20 lbs heavier so theres the beef, just weighing all my options tp ensure that the finnished product is what I want, Thanks Shawn 8)
Measure it with a yardstick, mark it with caulk, cut it with a torch, back yard engineering...
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

You sure aren't going to hurt the block by just drilling and tapping those holes, just lible to get stuff down into the motor. The lifter bores are taller on the roller block because of the taller roller lifters. To be able to use roller lifters in an older block, a special cam is use with a reduced base circle. The real advantage of the roller cam besides the reduced friction is the ability to run a cam with a faster ramp rate. Don't think the swap would be worth it.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It depends on what you are trying to get out of a build as to whether roller cam conversion is worth it or not. If you just want some HP and don't really care how it is done, then no the conversion isn't worth it particularly on an engine that requires a special grind cam with a smaller base circle. I'm fairly sure those are not cheap.

However if there are VERY specific things you are trying to accomplish with perfectly sizing cam events with head/intake capabilities, having the faster ramp rates of a roller cam can certainly help you do that. While the effective characteristics of a cam are assumed to be the .050" measurements, the valve's are really opened and closed ~.006" duration marks for a stiff engine. Obviously weak lifters that have to pump up before they actually move the pushrod are going to throw the actual at-valve effective cam values. But even if that's the case, faster ramp rates bring the cam's .050" and .006" event numbers closer together so you can run a wider .050" duration cam while still getting the valves open and closed at your target .006" positions. In addition, the faster ramp rates get the valve open wider for longer which optimizes airflow to produce more power. The downside is if you oversize the cam, you can create more intake reversion than you would so there's less error tolerance for oversizing.

All things being equal, I'd rather just have a roller block if I had "plans" for the engine. But in the case of a free engine, don't look the gift horses in the mouth.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
redline

Post by redline »

I believe that were all on the same sheet music, as was pointed out earlier 325hp give or take is just that and it doesnt matter where its coming from.
As for the flywheel Ill find something to do with it, has anyone got the specs on the old school Crane Fireball #294 cam, I think Ill finish that engine around that grind, it was my favorite in HS and would actually complement the 302, the cam thats in it now is a little mild to suit my taste but every thing else is there to make it a complete package, more to come Shawn 8)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Dave wrote:Realy don't matter where the 325 hp comes from
It might matter. Is the motor all torque low down and nothing up top or the exact opposite where it's like a dog till 4000 + rpms. Does it get 8 mpg? Not saying it's a bad deal just that I think it does make a difference. Not all motors will make 325 hp the same. Once you have more details on the free motor it should help you to make a decision.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I've had a Crane 284 for sale down in that section for a couple of years. Brand new with lifters. .459 lift intake and .478 exhaust. Said to be a good torque cam.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed