87 Ranger 302 Swap

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

juju1289
SM: No

87 Ranger 302 Swap

Post by juju1289 »

Hello all, its been about 6 months of research and saving now and I think ive got enough money to get the swap under way. My truck is a 87 supercab 2.9 2wd and I plan on going carbed. I dont have a real plan for what engine im going to get, just all depends on what is at the pull apart in Louisville. It will prolly end up being from a mustang. I just have a couple of questions I need answered of stuff to add to my shopping list. Remember im on a budget and dont really have the money for all new parts.

1) Ignition: I was looking at distributors and I saw the HEI one with the build in coil. Are these worth it or not? Heres two of the distributors I was looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-PRO ... 2884wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-289 ... 304wt_1165

2) Is the msd 6al ignition box a must have, in alot of the 302 builds I see guys with this on there. The least expencive one is about $200, so i was just wonderin if this is needed to run.

3) Cam options: I done some research on cams and how to tell the stats of one. Gas mileage is a consideration but I also want a engine that can put out some power.

4) Power Steering and Alternator: They say the v6 alternator and power steering will work on the 302 with the correct brackets but i can never find the part number for these brackets. Some people give part number but not for which company so i cant find the brackets.

5) Carburetor: Wanting a 4 barrel carb and I think this is a pretty good one. tell me what you think of it.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80457S/

6) Headers: Looking for some used ones, I have a 3" body lift on so if you have some recommendation for headers preferably under $150.

If you can answer any of these questions I would really appreciate your help for getting on my way to the v8!

Image Image
v8ranger

Re: 87 Ranger 302 Swap

Post by v8ranger »

hello,
I have the second distributor you have listed. Seams to work fine for me. Im not running any ignition box. I used the front brackets for the power steering and alternator out of a crown vic, and mounted the alt on the drivers side. Then got a one wire 100 amp alt off e-bay. Im pretty sure I still used the power steering pump that was in the truck, and it bolted up to the crown vic brackets with no problems. That carb looks like it should be just fine in my opinion. As far as headers, you can use the shorty headers that come on the mustang engines, or buy the long v8 swap headers. The Lincoln Mark VII LSC used the mustang engine also. Hope some of this helped. Mine is a 1986 carbed 5.0 also with a supercharger. Thats my opinion on it all anyway and what I have done and used.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

On the boys truck we used the Mallory HEI distributor with nothing else and it works great. The second one in your post looks about the same. As far as the carb goes it will be fine, do not go any bigger unless you build a serious engine.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

I have the carb in the top picture, works fine... you don't need an ignition box or anything.

I went w/ something different, I'll sell you my procomp distributor for $50 shipped. Like new, maybe an hour of use tops.
Let me know if you want it.
juju1289

Post by juju1289 »

Ill prolly just end up going HEI simply because its less to deal with. Ive seen some complaints that they are too bulky and un-necessary, but if I change my mind Ill defiantly take you up on your offer.
289PWRANGER

Post by 289PWRANGER »

Headers from a 1983-1986 will work fine. I used the same alt. my truck had on it with the 2.0L, just needed brackets for 289-302.
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

About them distributors. I had one similar to that that i bought on ebay for my old F150.

problems that I had with it....
-The base is a couple of pieces and comes apart easily.
-The thing is bulky and I had to modify my heater outlet to get enough clearance. Also I had limited movement in it. Could get about 30* range of timing once i got it set in the sweet spot.
- Worst thing. Then i put it in the the end that fits on the oil pump rod was TIGHT. After I got it on, I could not get it out because of problem # one above. When i would try to remove, the top section would just pull off. I never tried to hard to get the bottom section out once it was in. I guess that will be someone else problem.

The good...
- It was cheap!
- It ran fine once i got all the problems worked out.
- Solved all my igniton problems that the old truck had.

A distributor swap would typically take 15-20 minutes. When i installed mine it turned into a couple hours and a couple F bombs (because of my issues listed above)! But it did function as it was suppose to.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

As for your other questions.

The 6AL is not necessary with the distributors listed above.

Cam options.... Too many variabes not known. Gears, tranny, tire size, engine specs should all be considered in choosing the correct cam.

PS and ALT. Yes they will work as lo9ng as you get the alignment of the pullys correct and the rotation of them all correct.

Carb... my personal preference on the carbs is an edelbrock. I have had several and never had an issue. I have had a few holleys and hated everyone. I sold them and bought edelbrocks. Its doubtful that I will buy a holley again.

Headers.. do a search on here. That is a popular question and there are all kinds of exhaust that people are using.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
juju1289

Post by juju1289 »

Ive come to the conclusion I wont be camming it for now till I can upgrade all the springs,retainers,rockers, ect. Im just gonna do it once and do it right.
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

This is the front of my engine.

Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
juju1289

Post by juju1289 »

So do you have the bracket that puts the ps and alternator on the same bracket, because I noticed its on the opposite side of the v6. Seeing your pic of the electric fan reminds me I might need to start looking for one, If the mechanical fan fits ill prolly just use it for now to save a little bit of money.
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

The braket I used was out of a crown vic (90's 5.0L). I just went to the junk yard and got the braket. I dont think you will have room for the clutch fan. At first I had a fan I got from the parts store and a 1 inch spacer to keep the blades away from the belt. ( I think I still have it somewhere ) Then I switched to the electric ones. I think they are 10's and I have two of them on there. Im thinking of upping to 2 12's. But not sure I have the room for them. I havent realy looked for 12's to see if they will fit. The problem I have is clearing the supercharger. If you also notice, my radiator is under the core support, so it can be ferther away from the motor.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end