auto tranny problem

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

bigdawg351W

auto tranny problem

Post by bigdawg351W »

Hello. I'm new to the forums here. I have a 86 ranger that somebody put a 351 Windsor with and automatic tranny in. The guy did a real hack job on everything to honest. I have spent the last four months trying to straighten out this guy's handywork. Anyway, I had to put a flywheel(flexplate) in because dude used 5/8 bolts in place of the flywheel bolts and cause the flywheel to crack. I put the flywheel and new flywheel bolts in and now the tranny woulnt go in gear. The tranny worked fine before we pulled it. It all seemed to bolt back up fine but what I'm wondering is if we didnt get the torque converter to seat right or we jarred something loose . It starts and park works but when you go to put it in gear it dont do anything. No click, no sound of movement at all. Has anyone ever had this happen? Could the tranny just went out while it was just sitting there? I'm stumped and dont know what is causing this. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
ranger50toy
SM: No

Re: auto tranny problem

Post by ranger50toy »

Is your shifter linkage/cable hooked up to the tranny?
84 Shortbox std cab w/ 5.0L / C4 / Holley 600 vacuum sec - Wrecked
88 Extended cab w/ 2.3L EFI Turbo / 5 Spd - Sold
94 Shortbox std cab w/ 3.0L / 5 spd - Sold
85 shortbox std cab w/ 2.0L / 5 spd - Big Plans
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

id first check your shifter cable/linkage bacause that would be the easiest. get underthe truck with it NOT RUNNING and have someone else run the shifter through the gears. Make sure your are getting full travel and it is actualy clicliking into the gears.

Did you get your bolts in form the flexplate to the torque converter?

Do you have sufficient amount of fluid in it?
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
bigdawg351W

Post by bigdawg351W »

ranger50toy wrote:Is your shifter linkage/cable hooked up to the tranny?

Yes the linkage is fine. We had it on a lift and I moved the shifter at the transmission. It clicks where every gear is it just has no movement to the wheels. It doesnt even lunge when you put it in reverse or any forward gears.
Warpig Racing wrote:id first check your shifter cable/linkage bacause that would be the easiest. get underthe truck with it NOT RUNNING and have someone else run the shifter through the gears. Make sure your are getting full travel and it is actualy clicliking into the gears.

Did you get your bolts in form the flexplate to the torque converter?

Do you have sufficient amount of fluid in it?
All the bolts are in and tight and it is full of fluid.
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

By the way.. Welcome to the board. I hope you stick around. As far as a hack job goes, you never know what you are buying sometimes. There are a lot of people in the world that think they know what they are doing but many do not.

Thats all i can think of that would be the easy stuff. The next thing would be possibly not getting the converter locked in like you say. Hopefully if that is it, nothing got damaged. Keep us posted.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
99 Ram
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

you didnt say what type tranny? if you didnt get the pump ingaged with converter it isnt pumping fluid into the converter. losen one of your tranny lines and see if it is pumping fluid. if it is a c4 the converter slips in then it turns alittle and then silps into the pump. but usually if you dont get it seated right the bell housing wont snug up to the block.
93 4X4 Long Box w/ 98 exployer 5.0, aod eld performer 650 carb
72 ford 3/4 4X4 HiBoy big block
bigdawg351W

Post by bigdawg351W »

I'm not sure what tranny it has in it because it doesnt have id tag on it. When i went to get the flywheel, I took the old one with me, to match it up. The new one had a part number for a C6 but I looked up pictures of C6's and mine looks nothing like them. It doesnt look like a C4 either but has the same pan shape and number of pan bolts. So, I'm a little lost with what it is. I don't know if this helps but when we pulled the tranny, we did'nt pull it all the way out. We just slide it back about four or five inches, just enough room to get to the flywheel bolts. We did'nt take the torque converter of the the input shaft at all. By the way, the engine code came up as essentially a 1979 351W with a generic code, which i guess means it could have come out of any type of vehicle.
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

How many tooth flywheel is it? If i recall correctly the bigger on is C6 and cmaller is C4. I dont recall how many.

Even though you didnt fully remove the converter, doesnt mean that you didnt get it seated correctly. There is only like a 1/4 that it would need to accidently slide out before it wouldnt mount up. When you bolted it back together did you bolt the tranny to the block first or the converter to the flywheel first?

Also I have the c6 and i cannot get the damn thing out with out pulling the engine and taking it out through the engine bay.

I like gorgos idea about the tranny line. Unhook the top one that goes into the radiator (top line is/should be the out from the tranny). Start and see what happens. However if its not engaged, i'd think there is risk of jacking it all up.
Will
99 Ram
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

To check and see if the torque converter is all the way in remove all torque converter nuts, you should be able to grab one of the converter studs and wiggle it back and forth. If you cannot move the studs at all without moving flywheel it is not all the way in. If you did not have it all the way in you could have broke the pump and/or converter when you bolted it all up tight. Always make sure you can wiggle the converter after bolting engine and tranny together. It is a guarunteed way to make sure converter is all the way in.

It could be a C3 or C5 tranny if it has the same shaped pan. My memory is kind of foggy(getting old) but I believe a FMX tranny had the same basic shape pan. Although if it is an FMX it will have a cast iron case, not aluminum.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
bigdawg351W

Post by bigdawg351W »

Well, I just got done pulling the tranny for the second time. I put it back in after I made sure the torque converter was seated and nothing. I think the converter was lodged and killed the pump because it now has no line pressure at all. Has anyone done the T-5 with a 351? What would I need as far as bell housing? I know I need a 87-93 T-5 but I dont know about what flywheel and whatnot. I appreciate the feedback from you guys. Thanks for all the info.
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

I think replacing the pump is easy fix. Seems like it just unbolts from the front side and not much too it.
Will
99 Ram
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

may i make a suggestion? a guy here replaced the flexplate on his 6 cyl ford truck with a c4 and he did a flip install...... that is where he put the flex plate on the crank backwards and had similar prob so might want to check that.
and also the one that has the post b4 this one is correct.. almost all of the ford C trannys front pump unbolt from under the converter and comes out all in one piece .. simple swap IF you take your time and watch what comes off from where and and how and just do it in reverse .. one more thing too.... you will need torque specs on the pump bolts too and a new gasket.
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
bigdawg351W

Post by bigdawg351W »

Grumpy wrote:may i make a suggestion? a guy here replaced the flexplate on his 6 cyl ford truck with a c4 and he did a flip install...... that is where he put the flex plate on the crank backwards and had similar prob so might want to check that.
and also the one that has the post b4 this one is correct.. almost all of the ford C trannys front pump unbolt from under the converter and comes out all in one piece .. simple swap IF you take your time and watch what comes off from where and and how and just do it in reverse .. one more thing too.... you will need torque specs on the pump bolts too and a new gasket.
The flexplate is on right because I put it on the exact way the old one came off.The weight was facing the engine side, right. I thought the whole inner parts of the tranny had to be pulled to get to the pump. Has anyone ever changed just the pump before on here? If I take the tranny out and take it to a tranny shop can they test it out of the vehicle? Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Jason
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

yup.. the weight goes towards the engine .. and yes i have changed the front pump on a c4 ...... its easy .. and no the whole trans does not need to be torn apart .... just need a way to stand it on the tail shaft end to be able to keep the innards from falling out and/or getting misaligned but its a easy job to do ..... and as far as a trans shop testing it out of the vehicle .. i do not think that is possible but they can check the converter tho .. if they REALLY know what they are doing.....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
bigdawg351W

Post by bigdawg351W »

Thanks Grumpy, you have been a great help. I guess I' ll be pulling the trans back out again. I think I'm going to pull the motor and trans this time cause I need to replace the main seals and clean and paint the motor. Thanks guys.