Need Help!!

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

wh!terange
SM: No

Need Help!!

Post by wh!terange »

Hey everyone I have a 93 ranger stx with a 4.0 5speed, I was wantin to do a engine swap with a 5.0. I was wondering what all was involved parts wise and what the best year mustang engine for this would be...If you could give me some tips it would help out a lot. Thanks! :)
blk94xlt

Post by blk94xlt »

Everyone here is doing a swap that is different. What you want to get out of the truck when you are done with it will determine the parts that you should use (how much hp, emissions compliance, budget are things to consider). If you expand a little more about your expectations you can get some good answers to your questions here.
The best thing that you can do is to read through as many of the posts here as you can. That will give you a good idea what the issues are that people are having to deal with.
Here is a link to a page with some of the things that you are going to have to think about.
http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/v8conversion.html
'94 ranger 4X2 X-cab was 4.0L 5speed, now 5.0L & T5 almost done
'04 mustang GT bone stock except the tunes

http://members.cox.net/ranger5.0/
-
wh!terange

Post by wh!terange »

Thanks for your help.. For now I'm just wanting a stock 5.0 out of a mustang with maybe a few bolt ons later on down the road. What my questions are about are what needs to be done with the computer, transmission and what needs to be done for it to bolt to mine which is the R1 tranny.I'm kind of new to this engine swapping deal so bare with me haha.
blk94xlt

Post by blk94xlt »

I don't know of any bellhousings that will mate a 5.0 with a transmission used in a ranger. Besides, the transmissions used in the rangers are not built to handle the torque that a V8 will put out. It will probably just break and leave you stranded somewhere(or wrecked). If you change out the weaker parts before you break them you might be able to sell them and recover some of the money this project will take.
Sounds like the best bet for you would be to find the engine, transmission, and computer from a wrecked mustang. Then you would have to go through the wiring diagram from the whatever computer that you use and figure out how to handle any inputs or outputs not part of the engine/transmission. That is what I am doing right now for the explorer computer that I am using.
'94 ranger 4X2 X-cab was 4.0L 5speed, now 5.0L & T5 almost done
'04 mustang GT bone stock except the tunes

http://members.cox.net/ranger5.0/
-
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

For an idea of what all will be involved, start with this thread. It's a good start at all the questions you'll need to get answered and some of the answers.

viewtopic.php?t=107

In short, figure on a V8, a tranny fit for a V8 (auto or manual), and consider an 8.8" RE if you don't already have one.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org