Torque wrenches - who recalibrates theirs?

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Torque wrenches - who recalibrates theirs?

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I got to thinking with how accurate my torque readings need to be on this motor that my torque wrench is probably all wrong. I know it's at least 11 years old and guys are telling me I have to be so accurate on the rod bolts that they say I should use a stretch gauge instead of a torque wrench but if you have to use a torque wrench make sure you only use ARP molly lube etc.

Well I called around and got quotes from $50 to $90 to recalibrate my torque wrench and they all ship it off and say I can get it back in two weeks. Well a brand new craftsman torque wrench is $94. So do I just toss this one and get a new one?

Thanks
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Warpig Racing
SM: No

Re: Torque wrenches - who recalibrates theirs?

Post by Warpig Racing »

My thoughts are as long as the torque wrench is not causing over torqueing and all readings are consistant, then it would be good to go. How much have you used your torque wrench in the past 11 years? As long as your not using it for a breaker bar or hammer, your probably fine.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
usmcrp1044
SM: No

Post by usmcrp1044 »

My dad just sent his like 20 year old wrench in last year. It was still dead on.

It's up to you though of course.
2003EDGE

Post by 2003EDGE »

Mine get calibrated twice a year. Of course it helps that the dealership I work for pays for it lol
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Well I just use it at home, I don't work in a shop with it. I use it a fair amount I suppose for a hobby person at home. I'm always tinkering with engines and such. Oh and I do take care of it. It only gets used as a torque wrench when needed. I never used it as a breaker bar or regular ratchet or hit on it etc.

From what I've read up on the rod bolts under torquing them is as bad as over torquing because the trick is to get the correct amount of stretch on the bolt.
Anyways I need to buy a larger torque wrench either way as my later 1/2" drive one is just a cheapo advance auto parts unit and I don't think it's very accurate at all just looking at the dial you set it with. I don't trust that at all for doing head studs. So I'll just get one that covers my basic range of 20 ft/lbs to around 120 ft/lbs or so.

So what prices have you guys had to pay for recalibration? seems like a few of you have done that?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8