Am I the only snowmobile fan?

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

usmcrp1044
SM: No

Am I the only snowmobile fan?

Post by usmcrp1044 »

So, all the reading I've done on this site, I havent seen one other person say they do any snowmobiling. I know several people live in the south, so it's outta the question. But I know theres some other northerner's out there. :wink:

I just started riding this year myself. I've got no impressive sled, it's just a yamaha ovation 340. It's no speed demon, and tops out at exactly 60mph in perfect condition, but it sure is a blast to ride. And at half the weight of the bigger sleds, I can easily keep up with most sleds on a trail.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Did you see the xgames double back flip on a snow mobile the other day? It's on youtube if you search.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I'm not sure I've ever seen a snow mobile in person.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

No, I hadnt seen that, but I just watched it.

Only response is :shock:

Here's a link to it for anyone else
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkI4ZXy2 ... re=related
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I used to ride quite a bit with my old room mate and then his wife. Just not any consistant winters up here any more. One year we didn't even get out till the first week in March and then the next week-end we were fishing. Sleds have have gotten so expensive today.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

I hear that Dave. But, I bought my sled for $300. When I got it, it ran crappy but cleaning the carb and new plugs made a huge improvement. The sled hasnt really been ran in years so it was just **** in the gas.

So far our winter this year has been absolutely perfect for sledding, and it's seeming to continue.

The only bad thing about the sport is the money. My sled wasnt much, but I didnt have a helmet. So theres $100. And registration is another $100. Then insurance at $20/month. Oh, let's not forget gas to. And then 2 stroke oil... $30 a gallon :shock: lol

But I guess theres not much else going on this time of year so it's great to get out and do something. :)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Wish I had snow on the ground for longer periods of time to get one, instead I just deal with the quad. It's like an all terrain snow mobile for me :)
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

88ranger306

Post by 88ranger306 »

We get snow here and there in sj, but i always raced motocross. It's not worth it to buy a snowmobile here. Now i'm retired from motocross and i'm gonna start drag racing =)
if it has wheels or tits it will give you trouble.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Which class motocross? I'm running a yz 125 right now.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

88ranger306

Post by 88ranger306 »

The last i raced was two years ago and i was in 125c, 4 stroke open, and college boy. The last bike i had was a yz250f. Once in a while I would race 250C because there wasnt as many goons in that class.
if it has wheels or tits it will give you trouble.
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

I have a 81 yamaha enticer ...i love the old sleds..next year i hope to get a 70s yamaha 440 exiter and a jhon deere 340 or 440 cyclone in mint shape........vintage sleds were sleds , this crap they pump out of factorys today were is the fun in rideing them?..new ones dont look like snowmobiles, they all look the same, and the cost is hard to justifi ....i always get a turn of the head rideing old stuff,its sometimes nice to be a black sheep.
87 Ranger short box.17 inch gts...302..FMS E cam ,600 edelbrock,mazda 5 speed.....RIP tony B.....
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

yeah, I'm not big on the brand new stuff. The way I feel is there too nice, you might as well drive a car around when you figure the weight of em.

My sled, being a 94, is the era that I like just because the looks/overall styling isnt bad, it's pretty damn reliable, and It still requires some effort to ride it. The old stuff makes me laugh, I swear you could get an extra 10mph out of some of em just by taking off the windscreen. Aerodynamics (think thats the right word to use) just was not considered to much, but it's the same with some old cars.

Then again, some of the newer sleds I've seen are rated at like 170 horsepower. Then I realize that my 4000 pound truck only makes 170 horsepower. And imagining that in a 500 pound, performance built design. Well, I could only imagine one scary ride... :D
2lo-rngr

Re: Am I the only snowmobile fan?

Post by 2lo-rngr »

I don't see them being a good buy for me, being i'm WAY too into cars, and i'd only use it a few months a year. But my in laws have two Polaris RMK 700's. those things are fun! I'm an x motocrosser myself, and love taking leaps, so sometimes my father in law has to settle me down, but i have a blast on them. Turning takes some getting used to. On a quad, feather the brakes, shift your weight, and youre turning. not so on a sled. The first time in deep snow I was like, uhh, wtf! I was doing like 70 and had to turn and couldn't. ended up having to stand on one side of the sled to get it to turn. I used to race 250 B, and thought I had some potential to be an A racer, but joined the military. haven't raced since. Would like to pick up a kx450 here soon though. lol. Not many goons in 250c? that's because they all race in d class to place. I hated seeing C class guys race D just to make the podium. get real.
100% ADRENALINE JUNKIE
90 2-lo ranger x-cab xlt.. 347 swap coming soon... and paint... and airbags... etc.
92 F150 I-6 8" lift with 35's
90 Mustang LX: in the chop shop... soon to be a new color with new motivation: Dart 363 with forced induction... 750ish+ rwhp. gotta keep with the times...
87 Mustang... DSS super pro bullet 306, Crower rods, Max quench pistons,Comp cam, stage III ported Holley/Brodix heads, TKO600, Vortech'd, pullied, etc.... 572rwhp... though it's day's are numbered....
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I gave up sleds about 10 years ago. The riding season seems to be over already here, 42 days. I used to ride enduro bikes (175 Kaw) for a couple of years and had fun. Little brother still does, KTM I think but have no idea of what class anymore, used to be "B" I thnk. He is only 52 years old and still doing it.
Anyone ever done or heard about cross country horse racing? That's a whole different area. 50 or 100 mile trail across rivers, swamps, up hills you would have a hard time walking up.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
2lo-rngr

Post by 2lo-rngr »

cross country horse racing? lmao. I've done some "hare scrambles" before. now those will get the nerves going. A 50-60 bike start all going for a 10 ft wide first turn? haha... maybe it gets my nerves going because it was my first ever race and i got put into a haybale in the first turn. right over the bars. good stuff.
52 huh? I remember when I was 16 or 17, a strong B rider with a Big head. I was on a motocross track practicing, and some guy pulled on the track right behind me (challenging me) so we go at it, and i'm going past my comfort zone just trying to keep this guy off my tail, and I can't, I make a mistake, and he passes me. I still try like hell to stick with him, and just can't do it. I finally give up and pull off the track. he does one more lap, then pulls up next to me, and pulls off his helmet to reveal all his gray hair. he's like atleast 55+, he smiles, and says, "good riding." I say, "Not good enough." He ends up telling me he's an old pro rider that now races the vet class, so I feel a little better, but I got SMOKED by this older guy. Kinda put me in my place. hah.
100% ADRENALINE JUNKIE
90 2-lo ranger x-cab xlt.. 347 swap coming soon... and paint... and airbags... etc.
92 F150 I-6 8" lift with 35's
90 Mustang LX: in the chop shop... soon to be a new color with new motivation: Dart 363 with forced induction... 750ish+ rwhp. gotta keep with the times...
87 Mustang... DSS super pro bullet 306, Crower rods, Max quench pistons,Comp cam, stage III ported Holley/Brodix heads, TKO600, Vortech'd, pullied, etc.... 572rwhp... though it's day's are numbered....