New affordable Ford tuning option coming

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

New affordable Ford tuning option coming

Post by cgrey8 »

Craig Moates has been developing an affordable tuner/datalogger option for Ford EECs for about a year now. Until this device, people's only options were the TwEECer RT, SCT, and EEC Tuner all of which are not cheap at all. Of those, the cheapest option is the TwEECer RT checking in at about $600 just for the hardware. The new device from Moates is called the Quarterhorse or QH for short. It's expected to release in February of this year (2009), sell for $250-300, and have MULTIPLE upgrades over the TwEECer RT. Once it releases, I'll be writing up a comparison thread over on the EECTuning.org site as to what the specific differences, features, limitations, and concerns are. But the #1 selling point is the cost. The other extras and benefits are just icing on the cake.

So that being said, you can get a complete tuning package for an 89-95 Mustang EEC for less than $600.
Here's the breakdown:
$250 Moates QH
$130 BinaryEditor (BE) and EEC Analyzer (EA) combo software
$200 Innovate LC-1 Wideband O2 sensor (optional)

That's far better than just starting the tuning investment with a $600 TwEECer RT. I'm on the list of people to get the first QH to test with and get the BinaryEditor software tested and debugged. Once QH and BE are released to the public, tuning and datalogging a Ford EEC just got so much cheaper. There's still the learning curve of tuning a Ford EEC. But entering the tuning world for such an affordable price makes it worth it for sure.

If others here are interested, I'll continue to pass on more info as I get it. I know there aren't that many EFI guys here, but there are some. So for those that are Ford EFI and want to do their own tuning for mods and upgrades they've done, this is a really good time to make the investment vs having a dyno-tune performed.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org