Pics of my crappy 5.8 gen 1 ranger

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Ryans5.8ranger
SM: No

Pics of my crappy 5.8 gen 1 ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

Here is some pics of my truck.....it ruff and dirty and no show stopper ...but its the best ive ever had and just love it, http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/oo77 ... 4-Copy.jpg
87 Ranger short box.17 inch gts...302..FMS E cam ,600 edelbrock,mazda 5 speed.....RIP tony B.....
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Yeah, a roller 302 from a GT or Explorer would fit quite nicely down in there and straight HAUL.

As for the 351 block, the block I imagine can be fixed up. But the heads are paper weights. Replace them with at least some E7TEs. However if you are looking to "build" the engine, build it and put some decent aftermarket heads on it. ANY aftermarket head is going to be better than any production head. The best production head Ford ever made was the GT40p head. The GT40p heads are just a tad better than the Cobra/Lightning GT40 heads with the huge disadvantage that they require special headers. It's almost worth it to get the GT40 heads just so you can use standard 302 headers like the Tri-Y Mustang headers.

As for the cam options, I don't know much about the non-roller engines to know how good the cam offerings are nor do I know much about roller-conversions. I've heard roller conversions require special roller-conversion lifters and a special grind cam ground specifically to work with a non-roller block roller-conversion setup. If that's true, this would severely limit your aftermarket cam options and pretty much require that you get a custom grind. But if I was going to take the time to build the 351, I wouldn't mess with a flat-tappet cam.

Because it is a non-roller block, that in-and-of itself might be reason enough for me, personally, not to put much into the block. At most, I'd stick a set of ported E7TEs on it and keep everything else on the engine as-is. With today's technology and aftermarket support for the 302 roller blocks, you can do pretty much anything you want ranging from stroking the engine out, upgrading the heads/cam/intake/headers, and super/turbo charging it. There are people that have done all 3 and get 600+hp from a 302 block. Whatever amount of money you put into an old non-roller 351 could be put into a 302 roller-block and would very likely give more power and do it in a physically smaller block.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Ontariov8

Post by Ontariov8 »

nice looking sleeper ranger man do up your motor some an have some fun with her
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

Yup ive decided the 351 is gone. i was away tonight and found and bought a roller 302 that was rebuilt 5o,ooo ago with a upgraded cam .....i also bought a brand new eldabrock 600 carb for it so mabe it will run nice for a change..haha my old holly 750 double pumper was a little to big...now all i need is a 3000 stall tork and i should be good to go....im so excited i get to do a V8 swap again on the same truck..how fun......And yes its kinda a sleeper / POS looking thing haha but the wife said i can paint it next month hopefully, shes gonna pay for most of it so i gotta be a good boy..painting it Base black with purple sparkly purl over top like a mist...gonna be Hot.
87 Ranger short box.17 inch gts...302..FMS E cam ,600 edelbrock,mazda 5 speed.....RIP tony B.....
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I think you'll be much happier with the 302 in there although a 3000 RPM stall converter might be a little excessive.

Depending on what cam they stuck in there, a stall that high might have you loosing some of your lower RPM torque range. Before you invest in a stall converter, find out what's in the engine and match the stall to the cam's RPM range. I'm thinking a 2200-2400RPM stall would be better for a stock engine with a mild cam upgrade. But I'm not an automatic expert by any means so take that with a grain of salt and ask the experts at TCI, Summit Racing, or wherever what they recommend.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
88ranger306

Post by 88ranger306 »

I'm running a performance automatic c4 in mine with a 9" 4500 stall. Even if the converter's stall is rated high, it won't necessarily rev that high. Mine will only stall to around 2500 or so with a 300 hp motor, but i'm going to be using nitrous too so it will interact well with it. Just make sure you have a good trans cooler and you will be fine.
if it has wheels or tits it will give you trouble.
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

well the swap is going to be slowed down abit, i had to put it back on the road for a couple weeks, Because my POS dodge diesel blew the auto tranny again...its still under warranty tho form last time , with 14 days remanning they are kinda grumpy .haha
Ontariov8

Re: Pics of my crappy 5.8 gen 1 ranger

Post by Ontariov8 »

hey man any updates on your beast
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

..Well progess is going, ..the 351 is out as is the tranny...302 ready to install waiting on cleaning up the new tranny,decided the mustang T5 is not worth 5 hundred bucks. So im installing a 5 speed out of a 89 F150,which i bought the f15o for a 60 of rye...sweet deal for me..plus now im goin to get a mid mount shifter which means i can probly keep my bench seat..much better in some ways than the T5 ,wont shift as nice i know, but right now money talks......so im soon to be cramin it back together,id take a pic but you all seen a hole where a engine should be.,
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

I would agree that a used stock T5 is not worth $500. But then again, I have never heard anything good about the F-150 transmissions. I have one I've been trying to sell for a while with no luck, and I looked up some information about em...

First off, most of em are not made by ford anyway. The one I have is a mazda trans. I dont think anyone makes a short throw shifter for them either... and I have also heard they dont stand up well to a real beating or an engine with more power...

Then again, I dont actually know anything about them, just what I read. Good luck :)
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

yup you would be right..ford didnt make all of em this ones probly the mazda one, and yes they dont like hard shifting its the damm long ass shifter that gives to much leaverage,because they have no stoppers causeing them to be over shifted easly.im goin to get this shifter shortened. if you reaf hard on the shifter it can and will come off in your hand causeing all the detent balls and springs to fall out of the shift rails.ive learned this.But as for the gears and stuff i was told they are much stronger than a T5 ....but it was almost free so in it goes if it dont work well i can change it next year....got all my clutch parts ground my flywheel today so i hope to get at it this weekend.. :D :D :D
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

Got my 302 and m5od in the truck tonight....fits nice had to drill one hole. used mustang mounts....swapping from a 351 and a c6 ..to a 302 and truck 5 speed is easy as pie..plus it would seem since i notched the frame last year i can use stock mustang headers...everything seems to be fitting good...gotta get a new drive shaft cut again...im sure something will go wrong it always does...
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

now come you get a lift in your garage, i don't get one...and are'nt these little trucks sweet...the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

Hello all again ...well im back at things where i left off a year ago.....redone my shop, hoist is in ...Time to finish my ranger...been a long summer no time to complete the engine swap but im looking forward to hearing it run again...lots to do on it still im kinda mad i didnt get to drive it this summer......il keep you all posted when its done again :P