Just Another Daydreamer?

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Dave
Supporting Member
SM: No

Just Another Daydreamer?

Post by Dave »

Got this off of one of the other Ranger sites. Guy wants to build up a late model Ranger for the strip. Starts sounding good but down hill real fast. Wants to run in the 10's, okay, can be done with lots of money.
Here's what he had to say and my quick question.
Dave

The headers might be a problem, but other than that i am planning on running a good boss 302 block or if push comes to shove i have an extra 4.6L 3v that i have ready to be built for my mustang i just never got it done. I am planning on no more than 800-900hp since i still want this truck to be able to drive to the track, throw on some slicks, then race and be able to drive home when i am done. Or i could could run a Boss crate engine and use the Edelbrock EFI kit. Anyone know where i can find a cowl hood for a 99-01 or would i have to get a custom one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

800-900 HP? You are kidding I hope!

well my mechanic has already made 3 306s running twin turbos that have almost pegged his dyno which is rated at 1500hp but i am hoping to go supercharger at around 15psi. I already have alot of heavy duty parts
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Grumpy

Daydreamer

Post by Grumpy »

well depending on his money and how hard he will be running the truck and how often he wants to tune it up or freshen it up ... 800 - 900 hp will be pushing it to the max .. i had a 600 -650 hp 347 that i had about $12,500 or so in and it ran STRONG as hell but NOT to dam reliable on the street .... it takes constant tuning and ALOT of know how to keep it in top shape to make that kind of hp for the street ....lol..... plus he will be having to look for an aftermarket EFI setup or have one custom made for the Boss 302 as it is a 302 block with big block 351 cleveland heads with some water port and jacket work .. the port on the face of the head will have to be plugged and on the intake face some ports will have to be put in PRECISE points or it will not last till it gets warm the 1st time its run .. so therefor there arent any EFI setups for that combo that im aware of .. and as far as headers ... he WILL have to have some made as no one offers them for any vehicle other than a Boss 302 Mustang that i know of because there were so very few made or still around .. but if money is NO concern or no problem for him ...... then he might have a way to get his 800 - 900 HP for his ride .... now.. getting it to HOOK UP is going to be a WAY diff senario for a Ranger unless he really knows or knows someone that is a suspention wiz and can make him a hell of a custom rear suspention that ill get him to hook up .. can you say 20 - 24 inch wide M/T slicks ?? and that still might not get him down the street hooked up.

But i wish him well and hope he can get it all together .... get him to join over here and tell us what all he has or wants to do to his truck and we all can see and hear whats going on with it too ....lmao :D :D ... anyway ... Peace for now
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Bazowak

RE

Post by Bazowak »

WOW, 800-900 HP, that's pretty ambitious. To put a ranger into the 10's I don't think requires quite that much HP. Does he really know what it takes to build such an engine or for that matter what it takes to maintain something like that? More power to him if he does or can.

I also don't know that the boss 302 is really that much of a viable engine. With the technology of the aftermarket cylinder heads, why go with old tech. and have to worry about finding the EFI to work with what he wants to do.

For my money, and for streetability I would go with a stout 331 with good heads (AFR 185's) and an "F" cam. Run all that through a P.A. C-4 and then spend the big money on the rear end and being able to plant the HP.

That's just me and what I would do.
2006 Chevy Uplander Mini-van (loser cruiser)
1998 Jeep Cherokee
6.5HP Troy Built push mower (A true hotrod)
1988 2WD Ranger XLT 2.9 5spd man.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I'm not sure how streetable or drivable a 900hp 302 would be. Or how long that would survive for that matter? Maybe with turbos it could be docile out of boost and drivable but when wrapped up near red line make some good power? It would seem rather flat in the lower rpms though till everything's spooled up and full boost is achieved. All depends on what you want.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I'd expect it'd have to be a very low compression engine so it could accept 25+PSI boost levels as well as have a rotating assembly blueprinted to spin into the 7000RPM range without flying apart. With that low of a compression and components sized to deliver that high into the RPM range, as stated, I doubt it'd do well at all when it's out of boost just driving around. You'd probably need a 3000RPM stall converter and an idle set around 1000 RPMs just to get the thing to drive.

Even if it could deliver that kind of power, that wouldn't be worth it to me unless someone was sponsoring me or I was just really that into 1/4 racing and wanted to do it with a Ranger just to show it can be done. To me, the beauty of having a V8 Ranger is to be able to daily drive it like it was stock, get acceptable fuel economy from it, and shock people when it kicks up with some take off that most people would only expect from a more obvious performance vehicle.

The only things I really want from my Ranger that it doesn't have now is better rain traction and better takeoff in 2nd and 3rd gear. I throw a couple of bags of rock in the bed when it rains which helps A LOT. And a 331 with a better cam would give me the takeoff I'm looking for in 2nd and 3rd.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I think he is talking about the brand new "Boss" block that Ford has come out with based on the standard 302/5.0 block but with all forged internals and four bolt mains. They keep coming out with more and more stuff for the older motors.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

hmmm ide like to give it a try, i think 800-900hp would get me to 8.9-9.2 in the quarter, and with a nice injection setup and good power adder it really isnt that wackey of an idea
twin turbo v8 menace
usmcrp1044

Post by usmcrp1044 »

it's tough to say what 800-900 hp would get you.

I know that Mustang video I posted, it took 1,000+hp with dual turbos to break the 8 sec mark. And even that was 8.9x something. So I would be willing to bet that 800-900hp would be mid 9's although all the horsepower in the world doesnt make the tires go to the ground.

There is alot more to figure in before you can figure quarter mile speed. I guess if it's a supercharged engine it might be a little quicker, since theres no turbo lag so it would come off the line alot harder, that is if you can keep the tires planted. Not to easy on a truck. :)