Propane Power

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

plowboy34
SM: No

Propane Power

Post by plowboy34 »

Got a buddy who does antique tractor pulling. He runs propane but has just dinked around with it a little. He now wants to get serious and has come to me with questions I cannot answer. I was just wondering if anyone knew where a man could get info on this or if anyone knows anything about this. He is wanting to build some decent power and I know nothing of propane engines. I know it's gonna be basically the same just mainly need to know how to adjust the propane for compression ratio and so on. Any info greatly appreciated.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

My stepfather had a GM propane conversion for an SBC. He ran it for a few years and then got rid of the truck. But the basic setup was quite simple. It included a throttle body that looks similar to a carb or TBI throttle body. The difference was that instead of floats and jets, it had a valve and pressure regulator in it. It based flow on both the pressure in the intake and the throttle position...that's about it. I have no clue if there was any tuning that was required but I have to believe there was. He did that conversion back before I really cared much for engines and it was 100% mechanical. No computer.

I do remember him saying that an optimal propane engine is about a 12-13:1 compression vs a gasoline engine that's 8-10:1 naturally aspirated. He never modified the engine. It stayed basically a gasoline engine with only the conversion kit. But others that build a "true" propane engine would build build it with well more compression than a gasoline engine.

That's about all I know...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org