Can 20* timing be to much?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Can 20* timing be to much?

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I decided to bump my timing up a little today. I was some where around 10~12*. Hard to tell exactly. Anyhow I bumped it up somewhere around 18~20* initial timing. Looked like it was more on the 20 than the 18. Anyhow I took it out for a drive and it pulled nice and strong. No hint of pinging at all. Out on the interstate I droped into fourth and pulled hard all the way up to around 120. Hard to say exactly since my speedo only goes up to 85. Anyhow there was no sign of pinging which I've heard in my 95 Stang so I know what to listen for.
On my 95 Stang with stock heads & cam I couldn't run over 13* and even at 13* I'd still get occasional pinging on hot days. Can 20* really be OK?

Thanks guys
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

I wouldn't think so, but I'm no expert so I can't say.

This may be a moot point, I'll let you decide after you hear this.

My Ranger has a little plastic key that you pull out of the wiring harness to tell the computer not to do any advance so you can time the distributor. Once this little plastic jumper/key is put back into place, the computer begins controlling timing again. What I can't remember is if I saw a similar key/jumper on my Mustang harness or not. Others may be able to

If you don't have that key in place, it's running 20° all the time which would explain why you aren't getting pings at high RPMs when total timing may be acceptable in the 30s.

That's the best feedback I can give with no expereince with modified SBFs.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

did you pull the spout connector when you set timing? the little grey plug near the tfi module. you're supposed to when you set base timing. i've never set them higher than 14 btc and you married it to premium gas (93 at least). if you pulled the spout and its set at 20 i wouldnt leave it at that. again thats with a stock pcm. i dont know what kind of program was put in yours when you had it tuned. also its with stock injectors. i know youre running 24's in the red truck. going by stock set up, 14 is as high as i would go.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yes I pulled the spout when I set base timing. I was running premium in it anyway so might as well take advantage of it. It's not a daily driver so I don't mind a little extra at the gas pump.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

2lo-rngr

Post by 2lo-rngr »

it's fine. is it a little harder to start? ever wonder why high hp cars etc are hard to start? or sound like they're having a hard time starting? cause their initial timing is so high.

heres a little something i found on this website about it. http://www.centuryperformance.com/timing.asp

For performance applications "in most cases" you want as much initial timing as the starter can handle (the more timing the more cylinder pressure that the starter must overcome to crank the engine). Too much initial timing, besides the starter load, can also run the HC (Hydrocarbon) emission levels beyond legal or breathable levels
100% ADRENALINE JUNKIE
90 2-lo ranger x-cab xlt.. 347 swap coming soon... and paint... and airbags... etc.
92 F150 I-6 8" lift with 35's
90 Mustang LX: in the chop shop... soon to be a new color with new motivation: Dart 363 with forced induction... 750ish+ rwhp. gotta keep with the times...
87 Mustang... DSS super pro bullet 306, Crower rods, Max quench pistons,Comp cam, stage III ported Holley/Brodix heads, TKO600, Vortech'd, pullied, etc.... 572rwhp... though it's day's are numbered....
plowboy34

Timing

Post by plowboy34 »

I agree, the more initial timing you can get the better. Main two things I always pay close attention to is the pinging and detonating which you have already said your listening for. The other is over heating, especially in town cruising and idling. Make dang sure she isn't pinging though, thats just like taking a ball peen hammer and hitting the top of your piston with it. That's the two things I always make sure of.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Even though I'm pretty sure I did not hear much pinging I think I may just back it off a few degrees just to be safe. I still have my dyno run paid for at the shop that tuned the truck so later this summer when I take it in I'll crank up the timing on the dyno where we can watch it carefully and make sure everything's OK.

Later
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing