Synthetic Oil

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

bigburl
SM: No

Synthetic Oil

Post by bigburl »

I'm considering changing to synthetic oil in my F-150. I was looking at the various brands at the local parts store and am wondering what the difference is between synthetic and blended synthetic oil? Is there an advantage to using one over the other? Does it make a difference to use a high mileage rather than a regular synthetic? Is it wise to change from oil to synthetic? The red truck has almost 250,000 on it with nothing having to be done on the inside yet. I'd like to make it last another year or two if gas doesnt go over $5 a gallon. LOL
Thanks,
Larry

By the way, He is Risen, He is Risen indeed!
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

Synthetic vs Petroleum was discussed about a year ago in a previous thread. I think the consensus boiled down to personal preference. There was some technical info about additives also discussed in that thread about what additives were worth while and which were just wasting space in the oil. And I believe there was also mention about the difference in synthetics.

I'm a synthetic user and have been for a long time. But I have to admit, the quality of petroleum oils have come up substantially in the last 10 years to meet automotive mfg requirements. I'm wondering if the gap between petroleum and synthetic is a lot smaller now and not worth the extra money. I have resigned to not using Mobil1 anymore. I buy whatever FULLY synthetic I can get on sale at Advance/AutoZone. The sale price usually puts it around $2.50 a quart which isn't that much more than normal oil as compared to $5-6/quart for Castrol Syntec or Mobil1. Buying in the 5-quart jugs helps the price putting their oil around $3.50/quart.

Another interesting tidbit, Walmart brand oil is now available in a fully synthetic version. I've never tried it or heard any reviews about it. But it would be interesting to hear a more recent oil review using today's petroleum and synthetics. All the oil reviews I've read are quite dated now.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org