Project Growth

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

bigburl
SM: No

Project Growth

Post by bigburl »

Is it usual for the 5.0 swap to grow from a simple swap to a full blown project? In the beginning I just wanted a bigger engine. But then the old faded blue paint started to look too bad to live with, so I'm stripping everything from under the hood to paint the engine bay before we go any further. The seats in my donor Mustang are the wrong color but they are in better condition than the old bench in the Ranger, so I'm looking at reupholstering them. And then the carpet is almost 20 years old so it will need to come out. The dash pad is cracked and I've been measuring the dash in the Mustang and I don't think it would have to be modified much to fit into the truck. It would be cool to have the 140 speedo and other gauges in the truck. Someone several months back said that their truck had been done that way and I'v been intrigued by it ever since. I thought this would be a couple of months going together but I've been chatting with you guys for about six months and started tearing things apart about three months ago and I don't have any idea when this might get finished. Is this normal?
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

it sounds about right I was the same I took the stock motor out, engine bay was faded and some rusty spots you can see in my pics, pulled my motor back out and spent a week cleaning preping and painting the engine bay. my $1500 swap became a $4000 swap! my ranger is a '94 and I'm still pondering about putting the mustang dash in but it would have to be '94 and up cau its a nicer looking dash, I think my ranger dash is nicer than the fox body stangs. also '94 and up stang got air bags so theirs some money! I got a really nice mint condition black '94 dash at work I'm just uncertain as how easy or hard it would be to get it to go in my '94!
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
GregR

Post by GregR »

I actually planned for my Ranger project to grow in stages. The first stage was to get the 4.6 in the Ranger and make it a dependable driver that could be taken to the drag strip on the weekends. Now that all those goals have been reached it's on to the next stage.

Stage two is to strip the Ranger down to the bare frame and clean/paint everything. The truck is also getting a flairside box, new interior, lowered ride height, and some other cosmetic changes. I'm also going to make some mods to the drivetrain to help improve the performance.

I'm only to the point of cleaning the frame so it's going to be awhile before it's back on the road. Hope I can afford the gas once it's done.
'98 Ranger 2WD, 4.6 dohc, 4R70W, 8.8/4.10/TL

http://281ranger.homestead.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052265

'05 Mustang, V6, AT, Legend Lime, daily driver
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

My swap started off as a full blown project to not just get the motor into the truck, but to beef up the suspension, rearend, and get the truck to where it could handle the new found torque the motor brings. At one time, I considered getting into the motor to replace the cam, but decided against it. My budget and time limits pretty much kept me right on schedule and kept the project creep under control. The plan was all along to repaint the truck and get some rims on it. But now, the 2nd phase has crept to including a 331 stroker upgrade. I thought I was on the way to getting that project started until the contract I had on my house fell through. So, all my hopes and aspirations for the truck are back on hold. :roll: But at least I have a V8 to drive until then which is better than what I had and for that, I'm thankful.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I'm sure a lot of us have found that what started out to be a simple, quick motor swap turned into what you describe. Think Malcolm started out with his red truck just to fix the body damage, ended up with a great body off restore. I keep changing trucks.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting