found pics of my bell housing

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

94stranger
SM: No

found pics of my bell housing

Post by 94stranger »

I was kinda bored and found these pics of my bell housing!

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z125 ... G_4740.jpg
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The corner of your angle-iron that's up on the raised part of the transmission mounting surface will probably need to get cut off or ground back.

When I had my plate made to butt right up to the surface, not even on the surface, I had to take a good 1/4" off around the edge since the tranny mounts flat to that surface and even extends over just a little. This is what I ended up with:
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I actully put a thin spacer in it to raise it up, I think it should work alright since I don't have anything to cut it with and it is already installed.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Just make sure the transmission is not bolted down in contact with that corner. If it is, then you got the transmission tightened down cocked to the side which means the power from the crankshaft is going through a small angle to get to the transmission and that's not good. Anything from burning the pilot bearing, tearing up the clutch plate, to damaging the transmission itself are possible if the transfer isn't perfectly straight from the crank to the transmission.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I see what ya mean I'll check it out to make sure there is no interference with the bracket to tranni!!! I'm pretty sure there is space but I will check it out thanks CGrey
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Since the corner of the bracket is towards the bottom, you may be clear of the tranny. It's been a while since I got under the truck, but the tranny may drop straight down and miss the corner that's up on the raised edge. If so, no harm...

BTW, the surface that goes off to the left below the slave is used by the Cobra R transmissions. The T5 and Cobra R trans (can't remember what it's number is...something like 3550), both use the same style bell housing. AFAIK, the only difference is where the tranny bolt holes are drilled-n-tapped. Notice here, this bellhousing has a hole tapped in that far bottom-left corner that is blank you our bells:
In fact, it's all the tranny bolt holes that are in different locations. Compare each hole with the locations of the T5 holes in your pictures. But other than that, it's the same bell.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

thats pretty odd I ever new this thanks cgrey. so is this cobra R t- 5 a better tranni?
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It's not a T5, but it is made by Tremec. And I think it's actual designation is something like 3550, as opposed to T5. And yes it is much stronger than a T5, but from what I understand, it doesn't shift nearly as smoothly either...very notchy.

For optimum torque handling AND smooth shifts, you have to go to the T56 for that. Although I've heard from others that the T56's claim to high torque numbers is a bit over-exaggerated. A buddy of mine that used to own an early 2000s Trans-Am had a stock T56 in it and he went through 2 of them in less than 10kmiles, but he was VERY hard on that car. That same 10kmiles also saw 3 sets of rear tires too. On the tuning forums, people have reported busting T56s without too much trouble too claiming they evidently don't hold up to shock-loads very well...as was the case with the guy I knew with the Trans-Am. Read here for more details:
Trannys, Superchargers, and Complaints. Oh My!

In that thread, one of the members also mentioned an Astro gear set for the T5? I don't know what that's about, but it is supposed to be a way to get more from the T5 than what most T5s have. Again, read the thread for more info, and feel free to respond and continue that discussion for more info.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Chris is right, it's a Tremec 3550 that was used in the "R" Cobra. Came with the mid-shift option. I have dealt with Astro Performance and the guy knows his stuff. Does a lot of trans rebuilding for the racers in Florada. Someone else who has some high performance T-5 units is
G-Force Transmission, power up to 500Hp.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting