what would you build? 92 v8 or 99 v8 ranger?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

purpony
SM: No

what would you build? 92 v8 or 99 v8 ranger?

Post by purpony »

I own a 1992 ford ranger standard cab longbed 4x4. It was my first vehicle when i started driving in 95 and my dad bought the truck new. I still drive it daily to and from work to keep the miles off my new F150. I bought a rolled over v8 explorer last year to swap into my ranger that i have been dreaming of forever! Now that my ranger has 230,000 miles on it im getting ready for the swap.

However, i just came across a 99 ranger EXTENDED cab 4x4 with 160K miles that is my favorite color and overall great shape... for $2500.

My ranger needs cab corners replaced along with a few other things.... the 99 will give me more interior room and also allow me to use the awd t-case....

what would you do? I still love my 92 and dont want to get rid of it... but if i dont put a v8 in that, then what would i do with it... haha...??
-1992 Ranger XLT- awaiting a 302
-1989 Mustang Coupe- Twin Turbo, 6-Speed, Griggs/MM,
- Feature car Car Craft June 2004
- Feature car Mustang Enthusiast Feb 2006
- Cover car Modified Mustangs May 2008

-2004 F150 Larait Supercrew - 6" Lift, 35" Tires, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Airaid Intake, Xcal Programmer.
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

do it to both!!! >8)
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Only you can make that decision, however I can point out some things to at least consider and offer my opinion based only on the info you've provided.

My short answer is I personally would look into the 99 swap. After have owned extended cab trucks, I hope I never have to drive another standard cab again. Although being a 99 Ranger does pose some interesting challenges, most of which can be overcome especially if you choose to keep the Explorer computer and harness. Being that you mention an AWD T-case, I assume that means the Explorer is an AWD setup? If so, this should simplify converting the 99. Although, I believe most people choose to swap out the Explorer EEC with a 97 V8 Explorer EEC instead. I think there's an issue with the PATS control on the later Explorer EECs??? I can't remember, but definitely something to investigate. Which brings me to the next question, what year is the Explorer donor?

But also keep in mind I'm saying all this AFTER have done an 89-92 era Ranger with an Explorer motor. Getting it into the engine bay wasn't too difficult. There was some modding here and there. Getting the right headers. Getting this and that detail right, but by far the most complicated part of the whole swap was the rewiring of a Mustang wiring harness so I could run the motor with an 89-93 Mustang EEC & TFI distributor. But even that I can't say was hard work. It was mostly just overwhelming looking at a spiderweb of wires and deciding where to start. It also didn't help that I was doing the wiring during the winter when it was 20° outside.

But that's all me and what I'd do. Lets look at your scenario a little closer.

Do you have to maintain emissions? If not, are you still going to keep the injected setup or would you consider carbed?

Are you looking for the easiest or the cheapest swap? OR are you just looking to get the best vehicle once it's all done? I'm sure budget is always of concern, but knowing the budget can make a lot of your decisions for you.

These are only the beginning of hundreds of questions that will need to get answered. Either way you go, it's good to have yet another V8 ranger enthusiast on the site....so welcome.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

from the day i got the motor together for a 5.0 swap i planned on doing my 94. i bought it new. it never let me down. today it has 252,000 miles and has never had a problem. not even an oil leak. its been like a part of the family. i decided to find another one, with no attachments, that i would feel fine cutting up, modifing and possibly destroying. its up to you. the 99 would allow you more off the shelf explorer parts and may make life easier.
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I'd sure go with the '99', for the larger room and ease of installation. One of the guys here did the same swap as you in a real short time. I know Malcom loves the AWD Explorer drive train he has in his.

Dave

"Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:16 am Post subject: It's alive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1999 ranger 4x4 now with 2001 mountaineer V8 and trans. Started on it last Sat afternoon. Had everything out changed to the V8 had the V8 sitting in that nite and the tran and t-case on sunday. Had driveshafts made monday did the rest of the stuff over the weekdays. I had to go to work/07 cummins engine training class for the last 4 days. I finished Friday had code 1401 replace the EGR pressure diff sensor and pigtail thanks to some a-hole stabbing the wiring going to it. End up turning the adjusters in for torsion bars in 1 1/2 turns to bring it back up to ride height. Have been driving it around for the last 5 hours.
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
purpony

Post by purpony »

thanks for the replys all... first off the donor explorer is really a moutaineer... but its a 1997 with 65K on the clock. It was envolved in a roll over so no front end damage. Picked it up for $500 and was able to start it and drive it around. You can eat off the engine its spotless....

Basically I want to put this truck together so its somewhat close to new. My first plan was to pull my 92 cab and bed, blast the frame, por15 it and paint it. All new bushing, brake lines, explorer 8.8, 6" susp lift, new brakes, fix my rusted cab corners, and have the truck painted and install the v8, stay 4x4 with an AOD tranny, 89 mustang wiring harness (which i have) etc.

Then I got to thinking it would be nice to stay AWD like malcom did with the backend of the ranger being so light... so I was then thinking of tryint to find a roll over 98+ ranger and a junk gen1 ranger and trying to fit the old body on the newer frame. Would allow me to have the CV front end, bigger brakes, rack&pinion, with the old school body which i love. Once i got the engine in and a complete roller, then I would pull my cab off and put it on the newer prepped frame...... This would allow my truck to live on, just with an updated frame. I just love my 92 and want to keep it forever=

I know... i keep thinking and making this project more and more envolved... haha.....

But then i keep thinking... its still a standard cab!!! which is fine since it will be my to and from work truck and weekend run around, (The wife has an explorer and I have a 4 door F-150), but its just nice to have the extra room in the cab.

Then this 99 comes along and i get to thinking.. that would be perfect. But i cant seem to figure out what to do with my 92. I was thinking of doing the 99 and then once the wifes explorer is replaced.... use that (96 v8 awd) as a donor and like stated above then build my 92... haha.....

i dont know, i just know that the swap would be easier and faster into the 99, but just figured i would ask and get some other opinions..... im just thinking out loud for the most part.

thanks

-2004 F150 Larait Supercrew - 6" Lift, 35" Tires, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Airaid Intake, Xcal Programmer.
purpony

Post by purpony »

also forgot to mention, that yes, we do have emissions here in CT. I want to stay fuel injected sure. I think i am talking myself into staying with the 92... maybe just buying another junk gen1 or the frame so i can blast and coat that frame, mount the engine etc.... this way i have minimal downtime with my truck. I want to do it right and do a clean install, not a rush job. Who knows.

I also have a while idea instead of doing all kinds of mods to the engine, i was just thinking a cam and new valve springs, and down the road building a custom single turbo setup for a little extra get up and go.. nothing wild.... thats what my car is for. :)

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

99 with AWD. There's just not comparison. One drive in my blue truck and you wouldn't even question it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Purpony,
Got some pictures of the TT Mustang? A lot of us here also have Mustangs besides the Rangers. I'd still go with the '99', all that extra room is so nice. No real problem converting a '97' motor to the '99' spec.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
purpony

Post by purpony »

ya, awd is great... wish i could fit it into my mustang!

sure- here are a few pics of the mustang-

It has been featured in Car Craft and Mustang Enthusiast Magazine with an upcoming feature in Modified Mustang

306 cu (R302 block), all forged internals, Viperspec 6 speed, Full griggs/mm suspension (including tubular k-member and torque arm), Baer brakes, Incon twin turbo, 563rwhp/610rwtq @12psi with more on the way. I need a clutch before i head back to the dyno

Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

That's a beauty! You're asking us advice on what motor? Put that in the Ranger! We all appriciate a good looking motor/car and the craftsmanship going into it and your's sure shows it.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Wow awesome ride.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
blk94xlt

Post by blk94xlt »

Wow.. I'm not a huge fan of the older stangs anymore but that car looks incredible. I love seeing a project were the time was taken to do things right and that looks like a perfect example. It must be a blast to drive.
I'm with Dave when he says go with the 99. Extra cab gives you more room inside, newer frame and body is more like what the explorer came out of and doesn't need the body work that the 92 does. Build the 99 and post lots of pictures.
'94 ranger 4X2 X-cab was 4.0L 5speed, now 5.0L & T5 almost done
'04 mustang GT bone stock except the tunes

http://members.cox.net/ranger5.0/
-
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

WOW!!!! Thats an amazing looking ride! I deal with fox body Mustangs every day and I've never seen one that clean looking. very nice job on the install
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider