'94 ranger "dash" wiring

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

94stranger
SM: No

'94 ranger "dash" wiring

Post by 94stranger »

all my dummylights and other gauges in my dash are not listed in my books. my books show the motor and body wireing but nothing for the gauge cluster anyone got ideas on what is what and where it should be wired?
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I don't think you really need to get into those wires. The exception been the MIL but that wire can be found under the hood. The only time I got into those wires was when changing out clusters. My red truck went from no tach to having a tach and a custom fuel sending unit because of the fuel cell. My blue truck went from the manual to the auto cluster and when I installed my alarm system I wanted to tap into some wires there for blinking lights etc.
What are you trying to wire into the cluster?

Thanks
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I was thinking my: check engine light, low oil, Oil pressure, temp gauge, tach, I think thats all of them.

I figure with what I cut out of my harness these wire should be under the hood cut so I should wire them up solder and its done but I can't figure out whice of these wires are.
broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

When you remove the old engine, just seperate the sender wires from the old harness. Then adapt to the new harness. All the adapting/splicing should be under the hood. If you are splicing under the dash you are doing it the hard way.
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

The Harwood manual is great in showing what all needs to be spliced, so is the Ford Wiring Swap manual. Everything done under the hood. I've got the Ford Manual scanned in if that would help at all.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
blk94xlt

Post by blk94xlt »

I have done the wiring in my 94. When I did mine I cut off the old PCM connector near the firewall where all of the wiring comes through the cab into the engine bay and did most of the splicing there. I still don't have the tachometer working and I'm going to try to troubleshoot that this week, but this should get you started.

check engine light (MIL) - PK/LG, you can also find this wire near the data link connector next to the fuse box under the hood.
low oil light - W/PK wire going to low oil level switch on old engine harness
oil pressure gauge - W/R wire going to oil pressure switch on old engine harness
temp gauge - different for standard and sport styles. STANDARD - R/W wire going to temp sensor, SPORT - BK/LB wire going to temp sensor
tachometer - T/Y wire going to PCM and IGNITION CONTROL MODULE and tachometer service connector next to the fuse box under the hood.

If you get this all to work the first time you're better than me.
'94 ranger 4X2 X-cab was 4.0L 5speed, now 5.0L & T5 almost done
'04 mustang GT bone stock except the tunes

http://members.cox.net/ranger5.0/
-
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

Thanks a lot I should be able to get what I need from this (I hope). I think the main reason I'm haveing troubles is cause I hacked the stock harness up to remove somethings make it a little neater, I just Hope I didn't cut something out I needed.
blk94xlt

Post by blk94xlt »

I hacked up the stock harness pretty good too. I made most of my connections close to the firewall on the drivers side fender - some pics here: http://members.cox.net/ranger5.0/wiring.htm

I did have a problem getting my MIL to work the first time. There was a diagnostic port up next to the battery tray and fuse box that the wire to the MIL went through (actually two wires - didn't see the second one). When I cut off that diagnostic port it broke the connection between those two wires that was made at the crimp for the MIL wire in the diagnostic port and opened up the circuit. That one took a while to find.
I also thought that the temp gauge was not working so I spent some time troubleshooting that until I found out that the explorer temp sender that I was using was not the same as the old ranger sender from my 4.0L (Helm EVTM says that they are the same). Luckily the ranger sender fit into the explorer motor so the temp gauge reads like stock now.
'94 ranger 4X2 X-cab was 4.0L 5speed, now 5.0L & T5 almost done
'04 mustang GT bone stock except the tunes

http://members.cox.net/ranger5.0/
-
302project

Post by 302project »

94stranger wrote:all my dummylights and other gauges in my dash are not listed in my books. my books show the motor and body wireing but nothing for the gauge cluster anyone got ideas on what is what and where it should be wired?
I hope this helps you
http://therangerstation.com/tech_librar ... _wires.htm
But that's for a stock gauges but this help me out installing this ones
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

wow!!! nice dash maybe I should just do something like that!!! to bad you can't get the speedo in KM/h or can you?
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

where did you get the gauge pod (a pillar)?
302project

Post by 302project »

autometer sells the guages and the gauge pod and yes you can get then in kph. go to summitracing.com

BTW you have to fabricate where the gauges go
Last edited by 302project on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

do you guys happen to have any pics?

I like them both they both look sweet, I'm just a little curious as what you guys did for the lights and the actual mounting "bracket/plate"?
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z201 ... uster4.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z201 ... uster3.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z201 ... uster1.jpg

I cut up the original housing to use the mounting holes, took the overlay off the gauges, sandwiched what i needed between 2 sheets of aluminum and mounted leds on the back. i have both turn signals, abs, check engine, low oil, srs light and high beam indicators.
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI