Throttle cable

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

carcraft302
SM: No

Throttle cable

Post by carcraft302 »

I am being a little lazy. I got the pit (as in money) in to get the engine bay painted (corvett red with a touch of tint to darken it) yesterday. When I get the truck back the engine should go in for the last time (hope fully). I was wondering what throttle cable do you use and how do you run it? I am leaving the EGR spacer off so the mounts for the cable won't be there. I can fab a bracket to fit on the studs for the throttle body, but if some one has a nice set up why reinvent the wheel? :wink:
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

I got an EGR eliminator bracket from Trick Flow. Its about 3/8" aluminum with a 75 mm opening. It has holes drilled and taped for the cable bracket. Comes with studs and 12pt nuts. My throttle and tv cable and the bracket came from Lokar. I did just like Malcolm and welded a small steel loop on the back of my gas pedal to mount the cable. I dont have pics of my setup but If you want some let me know.
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Lokar makes a good 36" braided steel univarsal cable. They run about $40 from Summit or Jegs.

You will need to bend up a bracket to hold it if you don't have a stock TC bracket. My explorer motor came with the brackets needed to hold the cable so I lucked up there. But making a bracket doesn't look too terrible. Check out Malcolm's Red Ranger for more details on doing just that:
Red Ranger>Throttle Cable

You do have to modify the gas pedal to use a Lokar cable, but it's no big deal:
If you don't have a welder, you can make the loop with a u-bolt from a cable clamp. You can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
carcraft302

Post by carcraft302 »

Thank you. :D
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I take it that answered your questions? Any new ones?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
carcraft302

Post by carcraft302 »

cgrey8- Yep! that answers this set of questions but I'll probably have a million more before I'm done. Thank you again. Hoping to put the engine and trany together this week!! :D