Factory Ignition vs. Aftermarket

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Factory Ignition vs. Aftermarket

Post by cgrey8 »

While deciding on what components to build onto a 302, I realized I've payed no attention to ignition.

I've pretty much sold myself on the Trick Flow kit from Summit Racing that includes Twisted Wedge Aluminum heads, roller rockers, pushrods, TF Roller Cam, gaskets, timing chain, and a partridge in a pear tree.

For the shortblock build, I want to try long-arming it using the Speed-O-Motive kits. This way, I can help avoid pre-detonation problems that sometimes accompany building engines with higher compression.

http://www.speedomotive.com/ford_302_long_arm.htm

Long-arming increases efficiency, dwell times, and power according to all the articles I've ever read that compared Stroke to Arm Length Ratios. We'll see...

After it's all said-n-done, whatever donor I get, the only thing I'll be using out of it will be the block, mounting brackets, harness, and puter. Maybe the EGR spacers and tranny if it's a T5, but I'll probably wind up replacing the EGR plate with 70mm aftermarket ones too. Obviously with all these mods including the roller cam, I've got to find a MAF 302 donor...

Now to my quesiton, what advantage does say an MSD 6AL ignition controller give other than rev limiter control? If I'm not racing, is there any apprciable benefit in having an ignition controller over the stock ignition system? Do they actually improve combustion enough that they give noticeably more power and/or fuel economy? If so, what's a reliable amount more (generally speaking)?

Any thoughts will help...

Chris
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MercuRanger
SM: No

Post by MercuRanger »

I bought my MSD6A & TFI coil when my truck still had it's 2.8 V6. It noticibly improved the idle smoothness and throttle response.

What it gives is a capacitive discharge ignition which gives multiple plug firings at lower RPM's (below 3K if I'm not mistaken) which in turn supposedly results in more complete combustion.

I'd say see how it runs without it. Very easy to add later if you get the TFI wiring harness for it.

Mike
'83 Ranger Reg Cab 5.0 4x4 (Neverending project)
'99 Grand Am (Daily transportation)
'95 Lumina Van (Wife's car)
'51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe (future project)